Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
i need a little help yall >

i need a little help yall

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

i need a little help yall

Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Spike

Default i need a little help yall

I have been out of black powder for a long time. Back in the 70,s I had a repoduction 50 cal hawkin. Back then it was wad&ball load. What do I use now? I will be fighting my old enemies the tin can & coke bottle a lot. I will also want the best there is for those times I'm freezing my butt off in a tree waiting on that big buck !! So... good and cheap & the best possable. Any help you can give would be great. Oh hell,, my new gun is a TC triumph bone collector 50 cal. Tks all.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a triumph and shoot T7 out of it. Lots of folks on here use blackhorn, I personally have never tried it. Cheap: I dont think there is such a thang anymore.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Triumph's work really well with Blackhorn, the simple easy way is Shock Waves and 110 grains of Blackhorn or if you wish the cheapest load the 'Cheap Shot" package.
Use Hoppes Elite to clean when you are done shooting take an 1/8 inch drill and clean out the carbon every 10 shots by inserting it through the primer seat and pointing the barrel up while you use the drill to remove the carbon.
If you use 777 remember to clean the crud ring out every shot a load not seated firmly on the powder is dangerous.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

For the good and cheap part for those attacking tin cans, you can't beat 65 grains of Pyrodex RS and a bulk purchase of 250 grain XTPs and Harvester short black sabots.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/6552

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5481

Heck, bump up the charge to 80-90 grains and kill all of the big bucks you want.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

my encore really likes the bh209....im shooting 200grain shockwaves with 110 grains behind it.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

.452 300 deep curl would be an excellent reliable bullet, also cheap.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

So, Whats wrong with real black powder? As far as I am concerned real black is the best but then I only shoot flintlocks. You can but it from Powder Inc. online and they will ship it to you by Fed X. The last time I checked for a 25 lb order it was running about $14.00 a pound and that including shipping. Pro bass World in Macon gets $25.00 a pound. Check them out.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to go the cheap route stick with Pyrodex. You can buy it at Walmart for about $16 a pound. Blackhorn 209 cost about $30 for 10 oz. (or a bit over 3x as much). But with the Pyro you will have to swab between shots for consistant accuracy. The way I see it, it gives the barrel a little more time to cool down between shots.