Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Can You Say "Happy Camper"? >

Can You Say "Happy Camper"?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can You Say "Happy Camper"?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Can You Say "Happy Camper"?

Because that's what I am.

Yesterday I took the Swamp Dragon with the .50 caliber barrel to its first range session.

The scope was set for the 33" .54 caliber slow twist barrel. So I knew it would have to be adjusted for the new barrel.

I was pleased to see someone had left a large cardboard box on our rifle range. I put the box about twenty feet from the bench, loaded the Dragon with 85 grains of Pyrodex RS under a 300 grain XTP in a Harvester long black sabot and took a shot at the center of the two-foot high box.

Wow, a BIG adjustment was needed. The bullet just barely clipped the top of the box. So I made gross adjustments to the little Simmons 4X ProDiamond scope. Then I put a target on the 50 yard frame and took another shot with the same load.

It was on paper. After another scope adjustment I took five more shots. This is where the "happy camper" part comes in. Here's the 50 yard target.

Shall we try 75 yards?

How about 100 yards?

OH YEAH!

Now I know some of you guys have been posting those CVA/Blackhorn targets with two or three shots touching at 100 yards. But anytime I can consistently get five shots into less than two inches at 100 yards I'm happy.

Well, right then and there I decided to leave the .50 caliber barrel on the Dragon for opening day next Saturday.

So I tweaked the scope again - took five more shots at 100 yards - smiled - and cleaned the gun.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Awesome!!! Are you going to build more?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Semi

Awesome!!! Are you going to build more?
Well, I'm toying with the idea of building a handgun with the same type of action Sabotloader. If so, I will likely try an aluminum frame. I'll be adding different caliber barrels to the original Dragon, but have no need for another rifle.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad for a coal burner.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Very impressive Semi. You did get my order right?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some very impressive shooting... and that load you have is a real deer taker. That will put a White tail in trouble. Congratulations on a fine build and a great rifle. Seeing a target like that must really give you a sense of accomplishment.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm ready to place an order! So sweet....
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

holy crap......thats great lol
Old 11-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes we don't like what targets tell us.

Take a look at target #2 - a vertical string less than 1/2" wide center to center.

Now look a #3 - a horizontal string about 3/4" tall center to center.

So, why won't this barrel shoot a five shot group that's 1/2" wide and 3/4" tall??
And how can a gun shoot a vertical string one time, then a horizontal string the next???

The answer is so obvious. It's the shooter, not the gun.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "The fault, dear Semisane, is not in our barrel,
But in ourselves, that we shoot large groups."

Last edited by Semisane; 11-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im glad you mentioned that and not me Semi Nice shooting and it looks like your ready for opening day.
Im a pyro rs shooter also, I had times where I had groups like this and upped the pyro to 90grs and the groups tightened, added a tooch more and they got a little tighter. Sometimes I refuse to blame the shooting on me untill I try all options.
I know you have way more experience than I do with that type of MLer, just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Good Luck and Tag a Big One.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.