Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega

Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega

I have a question for the Omega users. I was looking at one for my wife, a very nice looking rifle I might add, but I noticed it didnt have a hammer extension on it. When a scope is mounted is it not hard to get your thumb in there to pull the hammer back? My wife hands are small mine arent. I didnt even see where its drilled and threaded for an extension. Just something I was wondering, thanks for any help.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have pretty fat thumbs and have not had a problem cocking my Omega X7. It has low rings and I've mounted several different scopes over the years.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by gregrn43
I have a question for the Omega users. I was looking at one for my wife, a very nice looking rifle I might add, but I noticed it didnt have a hammer extension on it. When a scope is mounted is it not hard to get your thumb in there to pull the hammer back? My wife hands are small mine arent. I didnt even see where its drilled and threaded for an extension. Just something I was wondering, thanks for any help.
It can not have a hammer extension on it because when you drop the block or trigger mechanism, the hammer goes down inside the stock.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is some difficult to reach under a scope and cock the hammer. It is also difficult to insert and remove primers under a scope. Machts nichts. The Omega is my favorite rifle; the only one i shoot any more, these days.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I don't personally own an Omega, but I have a couple of hunting buddies with them and I've handled them. I've never had much of a problem getting to the hammer. The hammer is fairly short on them, so it doesn't seem to be so much of an issue.

That said, I do have a Triumph which is fairly similar, and with a scope mounted in medium rings, it's not at all an issue pulling the hammer back. Even with gloves. I don't really see a reason to need a hammer extension.

You are right though about them not being drilled and tapped for one.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Fork Horn

As Sabotloader said but not only his Omega all Omega's will not utilize a hammer extention due to it wont fit once the action drops down. A break action all the way for the wife will make everything more useful for your wife.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

I was also thinking that an Optima would be lighter for her to carry, or something lighter. unless I am a wimp at 230 lbs. , I find the Omega to be heavy at lest w/ my thumbhole laminate. Also if you do decide to get an Omega to save yourself money, let me know and I have the thumbhole camo stock for you to have in replace of a cheaper stock that comes w/ your purchess. I do not use so why keep it.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have no problems pulling the hammer back on my newly-aquired Omega. I have a 3-9x40 scope mounted on Durasite medium rings and Durasite one piece base made for the T/C muzzleloaders.

My scope has a pretty good size eyepiece as well (Zeiss Conquest) and I still have no problems with clearance or getting on the hammer.

If a person were to use low mount rings I could see where the clearance would be a little tight......

Last edited by quake; 11-02-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem with mine but I do not like "low" rings I believe the rings I put on mine were "medium" and the scope is a low power small bell Bushnell for brush hunting which gives me plenty of clearance.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies fellers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.