Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic, buck killed today. >

Off Topic, buck killed today.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic, buck killed today.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Off Topic, buck killed today.

I shot this with my bow after a crazy start to this morning. I Couldn't find a tree to use my climber on in the spot I wanted, two deer came in on me while I was trying to figure things out (don't they know to let me climb up the tree first?). Then I settled on a tree but I would have to cut no less than 20 branches on the way up, most of them dead. So I start my journey up the tree and get about 3/4 the way up where I wanted to be when it happened. I cut a good size limb and it came down on my bow that was in the bow holder and if I hadn't reacted when I did my bow was heading to the forest floor to make my day pretty bad.

The arrow I had nocked flew out and was now laying on the ground. Then I heard something else hit the ground....my saw!! Give me a break. I wasn't as high as I wanted to be so I decided that I would have to climb back down and get it. About this time I have this deer 15 yards from me and didn't see it come in. It looks right at me so I freeze. It starts to walk a little but now it is behind a mammoth oak tree and I use that time to pull a arrow out of my quiver and nock it. Now I have a nice shot but I hear something else coming through the woods and it was another buck. So I waited to see what he looked like and he was similar to this one but a little smaller rack but he was puffed up and coming to fight. When the buck I ended up shooting turned to watch this one I drew my bow back, settled my pin and let it go. I watched my arrows fletchings disappear in the deer and heard that distinctive noise when you know you connected. He acted like nothing happen. Just stood there and walk about 15 yards and stood there. I saw his tail start to flicker and I knew he was about to go down. He wobbled back and forth several times and hit the ground and was done.

I thought about cutting the antlers off and leaving them for someone else to enjoy but decided they would look better in my study.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sirree. Thanks for the story. Them antler would look good in my study also.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great story Chaded! A buck like that would be a real trophy in our pine woods.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice buck!! And a good story to boot.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Bound determined to hunt out of a tree aincha!. Congrats and good hit. Very nice buck.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

That's a cool picture....not to mention the a nice buck! That must have been odd (at least for a moment) when you knew you hit hit but he just stood there!?!?!?

Great job!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story and Nice Buck! Congrats
I once was hunting an old abandoned apple orchard, a nice buck came in and started to munch on some apples, I decided to take him. I settled the 20yd pin on his lungs and shot. After the shot the buck just continued to eat the apple he had in his mouth and acted like nothing happened. I could see the blood dripping down his side and my arrow covered in blood in the snow behind him, I could'nt believe it. As I started to knock another arrow the buck wagged his tail, started to wobble and fell over dead.
I think it's because the broadhead blades are so sharp that it zings right through the animal and they dont feel it because it's so sharp. Also the buck was probably occupied with the other buck and all his attention was on him and never knew he was hit. He's on the ground that's what matters the most.
Again, Congrats!
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 10-26-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! I shot him at 9:32 a.m. and when we were loading him up the farmer came to combine the bean field that is up against the woods. I told my brother in law who was hunting the same woods with me to go up the tree I hunted after I left and he would have a good chance. They got the field combined and done at around 3 or 4pm and my brother in law ended up shooting a 9 point from the ground beside my tree as he got down. It was smaller than mine but still a nice deer and it was one crazy day for us!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a fine deer. Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Good buck!!! Congrats!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.