Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight original disc and bh209 >

Knight original disc and bh209

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight original disc and bh209

Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Knight original disc and bh209

I have a friend that is wanting to switch from T7 to bh209. We were out shooting the other day and he was having a problem with lag fire and no fire with powder.
The gun is an original disc (orange) it would fire twice then we would get a lag between primer and powder burn. Then just primer ignition with no powder, until we pulled the breech plug and give it a good cleaning.
Is this an issue with the older BP or ? If he upgrades to the red disc conversion, will this fix the problem or is the BP not the problem now.
Any suggestions or solutions?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
I have a friend that is wanting to switch from T7 to bh209. We were out shooting the other day and he was having a problem with lag fire and no fire with powder.
The gun is an original disc (orange) it would fire twice then we would get a lag between primer and powder burn. Then just primer ignition with no powder, until we pulled the breech plug and give it a good cleaning.
Is this an issue with the older BP or ? If he upgrades to the red disc conversion, will this fix the problem or is the BP not the problem now.
Any suggestions or solutions?
More than likely if he would upgrade to a Extreme Bolt and either the FPJ or NFPJ he could shoot BH without a problem. I think Cauigad moved from a W209 primer to CCI and now has no problem.

THe older Orange will work if you clean the BP 'flash channel' with the drill every couple of shots... Also the primer mkaes a big difference
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
More than likely if he would upgrade to a Extreme Bolt and either the FPJ or NFPJ he could shoot BH without a problem. I think Cauigad moved from a W209 primer to CCI and now has no problem.

THe older Orange will work if you clean the BP 'flash channel' with the drill every couple of shots... Also the primer mkaes a big difference
I figured he might have to switch over. He is currently using the federal 209A primers, I would think those would be hot enough. Even when the powder wouldn't ignite, the primer was enough to clear the barrel of the powder and bullet.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Also do you know what size bit he would need for the flash channel, to clean it?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Also do you know what size bit he would need for the flash channel, to clean it?
1/8" for the factory plug...

Which primer was he shooting?

My suggestion not to go with the FED 209A - it produces to much gas an debris to pass in the flash hole... and can cause hang fires
Old 10-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
1/8" for the factory plug...

Which primer was he shooting?

My suggestion not to go with the FED 209A - it produces to much gas an debris to pass in the flash hole... and can cause hang fires
Thanks!! I think I have some CCI's laying around, I will tell him and give them a shot..
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the same rifle. I actually had no problem shooting BlackHorn 209 with the orange primer jacket. But have your friend check the face of the breech plug and he will discover that the blow back is eating the face of the breech plug very badly. eventually the powder will totally block the breech plug fire channel. And the face of the plug will still produce the blow back which BlackHorn is supposed to eliminate.

What I did was with the help of Sabotloader.. went to a Knight Disc Extreme bolt and the Lehigh/Knight Breech plug for shooting black horn. I then had problems with the W209 primers as they were not hot enough. But I switched to the CCI and the Remington STS primers and now can shoot blackhorn with no problems.

I would recommend to your friend if he is serious about wanting to go through all the bother and shoot BlackHorn 209 to make the conversion to the Lehigh plug and the updated bolt. Personally if I had to do it all over again, I might still make the conversion but would probably be shooting Triple Seven 2f powder as I get extremely accurate loads with it. Or Black Powder. And all of that can be done with the orange primer jacket, the old breech plug, and the same bolt as before.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for clarifying!!!! I will let him know... I told him if he wanted to go back to T7 that I would buy the 2 jugs of bh209 from him.
I think he is considering it.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Extreme conversion would be a good idea regardless of powder. Those old jackets were so dirty and if he never took the bolt apart the inside is probably a mess. The new bolt is easier to take apart also. No more C tool is needed.

BTW if that is a "CrossFire" breach plug, it was made for pellets. The powder side is a big + shape.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks GM his plug is concaved not the plus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.