Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bought my first Portable Tree Stand. >

Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I use a wide variety of portable tree stand and have one from Walmart that looks to be very similar to that one. Careful assm. and adjustment with the exact spacing and using the plastic washers and it will work well and quiet. I broke a plastic washer and had to make a rubber one to replace it as it made a noise every time I moved with out it.
Thank's Lemoyne...Im putting it togeather right now as I write this. Im can see how overtightening the bolts can crush "break" the plastic washers, Im being careful.
Im not one for putting stuff togeather but at least I'll know it's put togeather right. I used to hate all the Christmas stuff we bought for our Daughter, I made Connie put everything togeather, along with the Entertainment Centers and such...too many nuts and bolts.
(BP)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Spike

A cart may be the answer you need to get a stand and a ladder 2 miles in. I use a 1 wheel cart with about 7 foot handles, strap your stand and ladder down, your gun or bow and your pack. Wear only lightweight clothing so you don't work up too much of a sweat, pack the rest of your gear on the cart. The cart gets the deer out too!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Spike

That's why I don't use them anymore to. I hunt private land and put my stand up early and leave it, so the sticks are the way to go for me. I do find the screw-in steps make good camera mounts. I do add two nice ratchet straps to help hold it to the tree. The one it comes with is nice but I like it real tight to the tree.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by moridgerunner
A cart may be the answer you need to get a stand and a ladder 2 miles in. I use a 1 wheel cart with about 7 foot handles, strap your stand and ladder down, your gun or bow and your pack. Wear only lightweight clothing so you don't work up too much of a sweat, pack the rest of your gear on the cart. The cart gets the deer out too!
Carts are out of the question, I hunt where there's a Big Swamp and feeder Creeks, waders and me are all I can get to where Im going. Heck one time we bought one of them Cabelas Sleds so we could put the deer in and float them accross the 4 foot deep creeks to get them out.
It's a real chore where I hunt, most guy's wont shoot a doe back there let alone anything smaller than a nice 8 pointer. If you plan on shooting a buck back in there plan on a 2-3 hour drag to get your deer out. I've shot deer back in there at 4:30 and did'nt get back to the truck untill 8:00 at night.
(BP)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jsk1968
That's why I don't use them anymore to. I hunt private land and put my stand up early and leave it, so the sticks are the way to go for me. I do find the screw-in steps make good camera mounts. I do add two nice ratchet straps to help hold it to the tree. The one it comes with is nice but I like it real tight to the tree.
All I hunt is Private land, that's why most all of our atands are permanent. Yet Private does'nt stop some people from tresspassing and I'v had some of my buddys have there stands stolen. Sticks are easy to get to the stand to steal, plus they stick out and are seen more easily than not seeing them if there not there and there's no screw in's either, unless your looking up for a stand. So I just take the last couple (3) steps out and hope my treestand will be there next time I show up.
(BP)
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Breech welcome to the world of hang on stands. Get yourself a linemans strap.( Think what its called). They go around your waste with a line that goes around the tree and leaves your hands free for work. We have over 30 different stands on our VA property and when it comes to hanging a stand you need hands free. We bought a few of those stands.. nice for the money. First put sticks up using the best straps you have.(ratchet for us). We also built an angle bracket with a pulley system on end. We strap that angle above where the stand goes and simply pull up the stand to its location and then tie off the line. As the stand hangs free run your strap around.. tighten and your done. It becomes very fast even by yourself. Last thing double up on straps to secure the stand and always use a saftey belt when hunting.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Breech welcome to the world of hang on stands. Get yourself a linemans strap.( Think what its called). They go around your waste with a line that goes around the tree and leaves your hands free for work. We have over 30 different stands on our VA property and when it comes to hanging a stand you need hands free. We bought a few of those stands.. nice for the money. First put sticks up using the best straps you have.(ratchet for us). We also built an angle bracket with a pulley system on end. We strap that angle above where the stand goes and simply pull up the stand to its location and then tie off the line. As the stand hangs free run your strap around.. tighten and your done. It becomes very fast even by yourself. Last thing double up on straps to secure the stand and always use a saftey belt when hunting.
Jaybeez, Yea after I got the stand all togeather I looked at my wife and said how in the HE%% am I going to get this sucker up the tree! All you mentioned is great advice, Thank You! but I bought this to get miles in to where Im going to hunt, screw in the steps and carry the stand to it's location ans strap it on...Imppssible to do that way. Im not one for taking back soemething I buy but I may have to take this one back. It's a nice stand if you only have to put it up once and leave it there for the season, but I need one to be able to move on a moments notice and get set up fast, this is not that kind of a stand. I guess I've gotten spoiled with all our permanent stands that I just go up the ladded and settle in.
Again a Climber wont do me any good because like I mentioned somewhere above that finding just the right tree that nice and straight with no branches are few and far between.
I mostly wanted this one for Bow Season to set up on fresh sign as I find it, during gun season I usually see the deer way befor they see me even if Im on the ground and it's over for them.
I need a light weight, easy to hang stand....any advice?
Thank's for your comments, if I keep the stand they'll come in helpful.
(BP)
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

BP.......I have your answer. www.trophylineusa.com
Its a tree saddle. I have seen someone using one on public land. I never used one but its quick.. light and can be used on any tree. I use the Summit openshot sd climbing stand for those long walks where I know im packing it out.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well I went back and reread your post. Looks like you bought the stand. Sorry you went this route, but it will be more difficult to manage this type of stand. the climber would have been better for what you have to hunt as in your area.

BP you need to get a climber instead of this stand. somehow I think you got it already. A climber is easier to carry into the woods and set up and then climb the tree. I have a Summit Viper SD climber. I love it. Got a nice meat doe last week from it. I love the idea that you can go up as far as you want and the deer, for the most part, they don't know you are there. It is a light package, but would not want to hump it for long distances though!

It is noise-less. They only noise would be my butt if I fart. I am thinking of putting the camo tape on the lower rails to soften it further. I am sorry to say I have never heard of this stand. And don't know of anyone that has one.

On our hunt club property we have over 130 stands. they are all treated lumber and seat one person. We do a have a few double seat stands. OUr club has been around for over 40 years and had this property for about 33 yrs.

Last edited by rafsob; 10-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Get a lightweight ladder stand and be done with it. Put it on your back to haul in and set it up in 2 minutes. Climb the laddder and sit down and enjoy. When done take it down and back pack it out. I am 71 and that'd how I do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.