Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Trying out some new loads >

Trying out some new loads

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trying out some new loads

Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Trying out some new loads

As many know, I work on my rifle's loads until I am satisfied then start all over again. Well today was no exception. I had made up some new lube last week. It is basically Junior Lube. The recipe is on the internet if you Google it. I made a slight change in that I used liquid Alox instead of solid and melting it down.

But this time instead of castor oil, I purchased some lard. And made the lube just like the recipe says, again.. other then liquid Alox. And I really like the consistency of the lube.

So this morning it was cold 26 degrees.. and sunny so I went in the shop and started casting bullets. I cast the 450 grain UC Short Mags for my White Rifle. I wanted to try the new junior lube with them. And while casting, I thought of the Lyman Great Plains Hunter.

The GPH has the 1-32 twist. And it was shooting pretty good for a flintlock with 2f Schuetzen, a homemade castor oil lube and the UC Short mags with 65 grains of powder. So today I wanted to push them a little harder.

I picked Goex 3f and 70 grains to increase their initial start up. And of course used the new Junior Lube to coat the conicals. Outside where it was still nice and cool, the lube was still soft to the touch but easy to apply and stuck to the conical bullets real nice.

I set a target on the edge of the yard, so that should be 40 yards. The range finder gave me three readings of 39 yards. Good enough. I will never get a shot that far in my woods anyway.

On a clean barrel it hit just a little over the bull. I was not swabbing at all. And then after the rifle was good and fouled, it shot to the right a little. I had the flint finally break in the rifle and whether that threw the shot, or the flint flying out of the lock caught my eye, but I threw one shot. Not to bad for 39 yards.

Then I got curious and moved the target back to 50 yards.

I love to shoot for the little white head of the turkey. But today, due to the sun's position, or shadows, or maybe my eyes.. I could not positively say.. I could see that turkey's white head. So I aimed center mass. 1&2 were to the right on the fouled bore. So I swabbed.. #3 was a little better. But not in the head. Oh well.

Then I move that out of the way and started shooting for 1 gallon paint cans at 96 yards... I think I was hitting them as the one I checked had a heck of a hole in it. And then a hole in the other one. But they were not where I was aiming. I could not see them in the shadows back there all that well. I guess I now know why I need a scope for long distance shooting.

But over all it was a lot of fun. And I do have a load to use for deer. From my stand to where the deer cross is 31 yards.... all I need is a chance.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

It does look like you had a fun day. I can't wait. I just ran the numbers and it looks like I will be retiring come Aug 31, 2013. I was going to stay until the end of 2013 but the difference would only be <$25 a month. Not worth 4 more months of work.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Very interesting to read your posts. Being new to ml I know that I will never get to the level that your at, but it is still interesting to read about your innovative approach.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I had made this lube before but instead of lard used Castor Oil. And really liked the lube. But I used it all up. I only made a small batch. And was going to make more when I went back to double check the recipe and it talked about using animal fats like lard. So I was going to the grocery store that day and thought... what the heck. Purchased a cake of lard.

Well this is really a good feeling lube. And in the online recipe it mentions gr as a measurement.. I do believe that is grains not grams. Grams would be far too much material. This is a good solid lube and very slippery to feel. I was so impressed with it, I made up a second batch. I might try to dip some bullets.

Bronco.. for $25.00 a month, I would retire early too.