Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ladies First!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you Wife! well done That'll be some Fine Eating!
On the subject of taking an adult doe with fawns I too along with my wife and most of my friends do the same, or have done.
I've found that if the adult doe is harvested the fawns become more adapt to survive on there own then to be tagging along with there mother. I've seen this a thousand times, who walks out first when you see deer comming out...the fawns. When all is well momma will come out, she sends her young out first to see if there's any danger, if all is good out she comes. In a way the adult doe cares more about her survival then her young, we call the young ones (You Go's) you go out first and if all is good Im right behind you.
Plus once the adult doe is harvested while she's with her young the young see what happened and smarten up quick. I know some wont harvest an adult doe with fawns, I hold out for that lone doe too. If your deer heard is healthy with plenty of does then taking one is'nt going to hurt the heard in any way, if you have a small deer heard I'd pass on the does and wait for a buck.
We have a piece of land where I hunt that has a big swamp on it with places you have to wear waders to get to, no 4 wheeles to help get the deer out, just you and a lot of hard work. We have one of them Cabela's sleds that they use for Decoys, we have it near by so if someone does take a deer we can float it accross the feeder creeks and swamp grass, but you need your waders on if your going in there. If you take a deer it takes hours to get it out. Most all of my buddies wont take a doe in there because it's too much work to get them out, so the old swamp does grow big and old.
So there's plenty of adult does but once the shooting starts they dissapear into the swamp and you hardly if ever see them for the rest of the season. So for me, I'll take one of them big old 140-150lb swamp does when I see them, the hunting does'nt get easier after the shooting starts, the deer go nocturnal and your chances go to almost zero for taking one after that.
Again Congrats to your Wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(BP)
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BP. It is more important to take her out and do not worry about the little ones, they learn quick!

Now as to shooting and deer. I was at a CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) match once and as we were in the middle of shooting our stages some of us noticed a couple of deer walking behind our range just above. They didn't seem to worry about all the guns going off and just kept walking and going about their business. Amazing!!!

We couldn't stop shooting because our shooting stages are timed events.