Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting day today. >

Hunting day today.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting day today.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Hunting day today.

It started out with taking the wife to see if she could fill her antelope buck tag. The morning went slow and unsuccessful.

Although i almost decided to make some of my infamous porky stew. But I let him walk

Finally about lunch time we spotted a group that we thought she might be able to get close to. She worked her way toward them and spent 30 minutes or so crawling but 260 yards was the closest she could get because of where they were laying. She doesn't shoot more than 150 so that ended that after they spooked out of there. Around 1:30 she decided to give up and go home. I tried to convince her to continue on and not give up so easily but she wanted to go home. So I dropped her off and took the last kid who still has a mentor tag for a doe. We spent a couple hours and saw 8 bucks and a couple dozen doe but nothing close enough for him either. well on the way home I made a drive to an area where there are usually antelope. I figured maybe I could spot something for the wife for tomorrow. As I;m heading up the road, I see a lone goat in a stubble field. It was quit a ways away but there was a slight hill ther, so I figured I would sneak over the hill and see if anything else was around.
When I came over the hill all i saw was a doe, now I have a doe tag left but didn't really want to fill it yet. She saw me and ran off. I ranged it at over 200 yards. It looked like she was limping slightly. I didn't bring the binoculars so i looked through the scope. When I set down and looked I saw that she had a bloody leg. Someone had shot her in the back leg

Well I couldn't tell how bad it was but I figured I better see if I could get closer and go ahead and fill my doe tag, cause I didn't want to see her running around wounded and be coyote bait. When I tried to move closer she actually ran farther away but stopped at the next hill. I ranged it and it was a little further than I intended to ever try but considering she was hurt I took the shot.
Boy was I ever lucky. A very lucky shot, cause she hardly went anywhere and was down .
When I loaded her up I saw that the leg wound wasn't as bad as I thought.

Oh well I guess i might as well use my tag and be done , so no big deal.

here she is

the only problem was even though my shot put her straight down it was a little low and forward and messed up the front quarters

I didn't find an exit wound but the leg on the opposite side was broke and when I went to gut her the blood was everywhere, so both front quarters were not much good. I did get the rear quarters and backstraps and stuff at least. The front quarters will become dog food so they won't be wasted.

The load was the same as the other antelope I got.
45 cal Knight Disc
110 gr Blackhorn
40 cal 230 gr bullet

I won't mention the range so that no one gets the impression that I'm into some kinda long range shooting contest with Ron

Old 10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

1874sharpsshooter

Food in the freezer - food for the family - it all pays in the end...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the antelope.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think Ron would think that at all. You only shot this Doe because she was wounded already. Good job either way.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Great looking goat, being a 230 gr. .40 cal bullet I take it it wasn't a PB.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
Great looking goat, being a 230 gr. .40 cal bullet I take it it wasn't a PB.
No the PB was what was used by the first guy that shot it in the leg.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
Now that was funny!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chaded
That just gave me an idea, Im going to try to get a dounut hole through a .50 PB with my .400 LEIGH.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
The load was the same as the other antelope I got.
45 cal Knight Disc
110 gr Blackhorn
40 cal 230 gr bullet

I won't mention the range
After sleeping on this last night and thinking about your write-up which did provide some clues like....

She saw me and ran off. I ranged it at over 200 yards.

So to me... if she ran off and you ranges her a 200 yards as you come over the hill - she must have open the distance even further - surely she didn't run at you...

Then...

When I tried to move closer she actually ran farther away but stopped at the next hill. I ranged it and it was a little further than I intended to ever try

Two more clues here... she actually moved further away and thinking about the country you have shown pictures of she may have extened the range well beyond the initial 200 yard range...

Not only that she crossed a depression and went to the next rolling hill and stopped. With the extended range and depression she crossed the air between you and the animal will change properties across that depression - an external influence that will effect the flight of the bullet at extended ranges causing a possible change of POI...

Next...

the only problem was even though my shot put her straight down it was a little low and forward and messed up the front quarters

Assuming that you were aiming in the normal area of a good clean harvest - then assuming as much shooting as you have done in your lifle time - you did not pull the shot with you trigger pull.... I would think the range and the atmospheric conditions (winds-breezes and change of both across a derpession) was substantial enough to cause a drop of elevation of the bullet plus the movement of the bullet left...

Now knowing the bullet as I do and looking at the physical make of the bullet with the large open nose and then applying the next part of your description to the shot...

I didn't find an exit wound but the leg on the opposite side was broke and when I went to gut her the blood was everywhere, so both front quarters were not much good.

You are telling us this bullet traveled through one sholuder across the the body and into the other causing it to break also.... So all the remaining energy when the bullet hit the target was expended in the animal.

With the charge you have listed and the estimated velocity of the bullet with that charge and then using your descriptions - I have come to a non-scientific conclusion of the estimated range... In all the excitement did you range the harvest site????

How is all of this for crude NCSI work????

Just proves you 'can run but sometimes you can not hide' especially if you stop on the next contour roll....
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Tell us the range!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.