Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It's a start

Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default It's a start

I took my lyman .54 flintlock trade rifle out to the range today trying to prepare myself for hunting this season. I forgot how much fun it was to shoot black powder.

heres my groups

50 yards-white paper

100 yards- target paper

Load- Goex 90 gr 2f/4f in pan Hornady Round Ball with Patch

shooting off bench with elbows. I think i'll be ok for hunting this season but looking to improve, especially my offhand shooting. I did the math and its about a 1/3 as expensive as shooting my .270, and way more fun!

I also got to introduce a couple guys into shooting flintlocks, and met a black powder enthusiast. They were really interested in the black powder thing, and how accurate it could shoot. It was great to see the smiles on there faces after they shot it!
Attached Thumbnails It's a start-1004122233.jpg   It's a start-1004122230.jpg  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Great shooting and a great rifle. I love my Trade Rifle.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

And a darn good start too Huntingkid.

I can predict the future you know. I predict you will purchase another muzzleloader within the next year.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

huntingkidPA

Congrats.. it nice to shoot and feel good...

You have me way beat... I struggle with PRB and I am a flop with a flinter...
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

thanks everyone. still trying to keep my eyes open and see through the smoke every shot.
most of you guys probably shoot/have shot conicals. I've been wondering if there is much of an advantage to them versus the roundball under 100 yards. Including less drop or better knockdown power on game. (given my twist rate is suited for shooting them)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

100 yards and under that .54 caliber roundball is a deadly projectile. I once shot through one deer and killed a second one standing behind the first. My load was 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched .530 roundball. Now granted I got lucky on where I hit. But that ball with the load your shooting has lots of powder and knockdown.

If your rifle shoots conicals better.. fine shoot conicals. But if you get great accuracy with that roundball, stick with it and it will not let you down.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
100 yards and under that .54 caliber roundball is a deadly projectile. I once shot through one deer and killed a second one standing behind the first. My load was 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched .530 roundball. Now granted I got lucky on where I hit. But that ball with the load your shooting has lots of powder and knockdown.

If your rifle shoots conicals better.. fine shoot conicals. But if you get great accuracy with that roundball, stick with it and it will not let you down.
thanks. I'll probably stick with roundballs this season, i don't really feel like messing around to get another load to shoot as good right now. I'll try them out this summer.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good plan Huntingkid. The most important thing at this point is trigger time and developing confidence in the gun and load.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kid - Conical will probably shoot better then PRBs out of your trade rifle. But for the shots you're going to be taking - probably 50 yds and under, the PRB will do the job nicely. That .530" PRB is going to be my projectile of choice in my GM 1:70 twist caplock come the early season and in my Lyman GPR in the late season. I am hoping to harvest a deer with at least one of them.