Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

black mag powder

Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default black mag powder

I love this powder. Is it still being sold. Does anyone know where I can order it?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is that the old Alliant Black Mag? If it is they have it under Black MZ now and I haven't found a rifle yet that likes it.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Black Mag powder is gone; probably forever. In May, 1910 the MDM Black Mag powder plant blew up and burned up killing two workers. This was after a previous accident killed another worker. OSHA fined Black Mag over one million dollars for safety violations. The owner of Black Mag surrendered his license to manufacture explosives and signed a statement to never manufacture powder.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

My brother and I bought 4 bottles of it about 2 and half years ago. My brother never liked it in his long range hunter. I love it in my mk85. Other then clump a little bit if it sits more then a couple of months I have not had any problems with it. After my stash of powder is gone I will be probably going back to triple 7. I have done searches online to see if I can find a store that may still have some bm3 but no luck.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Spike

It was Arco Black Mag 2. They came out with a Black Mag 3 and then had an explosion at the factory. It was really great stuff. I think I have
enough to get through this season but I always like to have extra.
I have looked high and low and it looks like it is off everyones shelves now. Guess I will have to make the switch to the buckhorn 209 that everyone is talking about. Thanks to everyone that replied!

May your powder be dry, the sun be at your back and the breeze be in your face.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its a real shame Alliant didn't just buy the rights to the older BlackMag3 powder instead of slightly "improving" the APP/Shockley powder.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

the last formulation was Black mag3. it was a non clump formula. they even sold a finer pan version for flintlocks. i was lucky to get some. i gotta imagine the stuff will be bought out and made by someone. maybe if a patent runs out someone will make the stuff again. its my favorite caplock powder.i could go a whole season (2 or 3 months) without a major cleaning of my gun.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by liquidorange
the last formulation was Black mag3. it was a non clump formula. they even sold a finer pan version for flintlocks. i was lucky to get some. i gotta imagine the stuff will be bought out and made by someone. maybe if a patent runs out someone will make the stuff again. its my favorite caplock powder.i could go a whole season (2 or 3 months) without a major cleaning of my gun.
Actually the latest formulation was Black Mag' XP. Black Mag' 3 was introduced back in the 2003-2004 time frame.