Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Headede to Wyoming this weekend on a speed goat hunt >

Headede to Wyoming this weekend on a speed goat hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Headede to Wyoming this weekend on a speed goat hunt

Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Headede to Wyoming this weekend on a speed goat hunt

Well I'm headed to Wyoming for my first speed goat hunt. I'm taking my .50 cal Knight Mountaineer. I'm going to shoot a 275 gr Lehigh with an MMP sabot pushed by 120 gr of BH 209. I'm looking forward to the hunt, I have never been out there and I have never hunted speed goats. This will be a first!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Luck to `ya onetohunt. Looking forward to your post on a successful hunt (or even an unsuccessful one).
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

onetohunt

Have a great hunt! Sounds like a great trip.... be sure and follow up with comments and pictures...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Did you get one yet? How's that for speed?

Good luck to you. You picked a great rifle, great bullet and powder, and an excellent test for your skills shooting one of them. I have never hunted an antelope. I ate some once and I can only say... if I were hungry, OK. It was all right, and I am sure the person that cooked it did not know how, as they had trouble boiling water even.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope you get one! Where abouts will you hunt?

SD season starts Saturday, my scouting hasn't found a hot spot, but there are a few on government land. Hope i can get close enough without too much crawling through cactus.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Well I'm headed to Wyoming for my first speed goat hunt. I'm taking my .50 cal Knight Mountaineer. I'm going to shoot a 275 gr Lehigh with an MMP sabot pushed by 120 gr of BH 209. I'm looking forward to the hunt, I have never been out there and I have never hunted speed goats. This will be a first!!
Good luck on your hunt . I too will be out this weekend hunting antelope with a Knight. Sounds like an effective load You got there . Enjoy the prairie life . don't forget to
Post pics, and don't let some outfitter have you spend all your time sitting over a waterhole in a blind. Do a little spot and stalk for the challenge.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

SD season starts Saturday, my scouting hasn't found a hot spot, but there are a few on government land. Hope i can get close enough without too much crawling through cactus.
I don't know which is worse, cactus or stubble fields. I made a 500 yard belly crawl ( took 3 hours) got to within 50 yards but didn't get a shot with my bow 2 days ago , so I'm looking forward to rifle opener .

Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

I will be hunting in unit 9 around Lusk.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Good luck on your hunt . I too will be out this weekend hunting antelope with a Knight. Sounds like an effective load You got there . Enjoy the prairie life . don't forget to
Post pics, and don't let some outfitter have you spend all your time sitting over a waterhole in a blind. Do a little spot and stalk for the challenge.
There are 3 of us going out and we will be DIY on gov. land. We had a friend or two go out a few years ago and should us a spot or two, so we are hoping to find a few and do some spot and stalk.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by onetohunt
There are 3 of us going out and we will be DIY on gov. land. We had a friend or two go out a few years ago and should us a spot or two, so we are hoping to find a few and do some spot and stalk.
That's the way to go. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.