Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets??? >

Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets???

Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I did say BH is a good hunting powder. Price wouldn't even matter for that.

If I was going to spend all the time I use to at the range. I'd use something else.

Still don't know why you don't get a crud ring Mike? Unless you're swabbing it out all the time?
With a 209 primer I can get it but it takes 4-5 shots before it might effect loading...

I do run a slightly moist windex patch afer each shot, in fact I use the same patch til it dries, but I do that because that is the condition my bore would be in while hunting - so everything is the same. you have or at least you suppose to allow the barrel to cool a little bit in between shots, and I am not good at that, so I run a patch to burn some time.

I think shooting BH that is even more important, waiting not patching, BH burns so much hotter in temperature it really does heat the barrel and running a sabot down on a real hot bore is asking for a problem - let it cool...

I have no paitence...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My problem with T7 was I was getting a pretty good crud ring with just one shot. I really don't like swabbing when i'm hunting. Unless it's a sidelock, and i'm reenacting.

It's just nice to know with BH I don't need to ever worry about get down the next shot while hunting.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

My problem with T7 was I was getting a pretty good crud ring with just one shot. I really don't like swabbing when i'm hunting. Unless it's a sidelock, and i'm reenacting.

It's just nice to know with BH I don't need to ever worry about get down the next shot while hunting.
While hunting I do not run a patch... just shoot and reload and with any luck I do not need the reload anyway...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt small game and coyotes too. Lots of reloading.

Plus, even with big game. I want another load in the gun just in case. If nothing else to keep away a bear that thinks my elk looks tasty.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

He didn't get answers about T7 and Pyro in this thread? Why do you always want to argue? I give my opinion. Sorry, if you don't agree. I don't agree with a lot of things said on this forum. That's how forums are.

btw..Why don't you say something to all the others that said they like BH 209? I also didn't tell him to use BH. I simply said that's what I like better.
If you see my first post I did address it to everyone in general that mentioned bh209, you just happened to be the only one to respond to my post. And yes he did get answers about t7 and pyro but you said he got plenty of info about it in response to my post but you were the very first person to respond on this thread without answering his question. So it is not like he got plenty of information to his question and then you jumped in with another suggestion, actually it went the other way around. Its not that your not allowed to have an opinion, that is perfectly fine.

I also have no disagreement about which powder, in fact BH209 would be my top choice of BP subs but if someone wants to use something else that is perfectly fine and the powder is perfectly fine. It seems that some make t7 and pyro out to be some kind of inferior powder as far as accuracy goes or something when if fact it can be just as accurate as BH209. Each of these different powders have there pros and cons and people just have to weigh each of them and decide. I for one along with 3 other family members have never experienced a crud ring so bad after one shot (or 2,3,4 shots) that another bullet couldn't be loaded with t7 or pyro.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I gave him an option. I knew he's get plenty of info about the two powders he asked about. Which he did.

Now he has info about T7, Pyro, and BH. What's wrong with that. Does it all have to come in an order that you approve of?

Cmon Chad. You're just being argumentative. It's not that important. He didn't receive info that wasn't helpful. Whether he chooses to use it or not.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Spike

I shoot pellets. Pyrodex pellets. Powerbelt bullets. I started out shooting with loose about 12 years ago. Switched to pellets. I hunt, don't do much range shooting, just hunt. Sight in my guns before each season. Just bought a CVA Optima, shoots tight groups out to 100yds with two 50gr pellets and a 295 Powerbelt hallow point. Shoot the aerotips also in my other gun(wife shoots it). Same pellets but 245 aerotips. I've killed a mess of deer out to 100yds or even a little farther, most between 50 and 100. Don't care for sabots, prefer a 50cal bullet for a 50cal gun. The pyrodex is a little smelly but I clean my guns outside anyway. Cleaning is easy. I dont leave my guns loaded ever, always clean right away. If I kill one I reload right away and shoot it that night if I don't need a second shot. That's what I do and why. Hope it helps you and good luck this season, Joe.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Spike

I still use Pyrodex RS Just for information I have shot 15 shots and nevered cleaned barrel. Kept a 1 1/2 to 2" group all day. Now cleaning after each shot CVA shoots 1" groups . I was using 90 gs powder. I might try BH some day but Pyrodex has worked and I will load at the place where I hunt and leave gun loaded for about 3 to 5 days and never had a problem with rust or ignition. I do clean same day I fired ML. Cleaning is important to me. It takes me about 30 mins to clean sparkling clean. I enjoy cleaning a ML. It reminds me of people cleaning there weapons and I don't mind at all .Easy is fine but a little work is good for me. It is relaxing, So which ever powder you choose have fun and enjoy. Be confident in shooting with Powder you use. I have all the confidence in the world with Pyrodex RS and I feel they will all work Just fine. Enjoy and don't worry about all the openions you hear because we all have our openions and feel we are all right.

Last edited by ld7009; 03-02-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try them all, just remember to use regular smokeless cleaner with Blackhorn and hot water and dish soap with everything else. After you have shot a can of each you will know what you like, wipe between shots with a slightly damp patch with everything except Blackhorn and use a hand twisted drill to clean out the breech plug beyond where the 209 sits.
Personally I Use Blackhorn in my inlines and Pyrodex in my Traditionals as thats what works best for me. Good luck
Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

just depends on your gun mine is real good with 150 grains so I just use pellets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.