Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Jacob got his antelope >

Jacob got his antelope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jacob got his antelope

Old 09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jacob got his antelope

Well today was the first day of Jacobs first antelope hunt. It was also his first time to hunt them with a muzzleloader. We have scouted a lot this summer and saw a lot of bucks. As his hunt grew near the water and the bucks in the area were in short supply. To top off a little bad luck it rained the last couple of days so the antelope were not on water, and I forgot Jacobs’s shooting sticks. Well I found a couple of alder sticks on the road to his area, and made a set of shooting sticks with a string.

For this hunt we decided to try a new tactic. We were going to hunt scrapes. We found a spot that had a lot of sign and the bucks had scraped and peed there a bunch. We sat up a blind and we set out a decoy. We saw a few does at first light. At about 9:30 I look over and told Jacob that a buck was here.
He asked about shooting it and I told him it was his hunt he would need to decide for him self. Soon he said I am going to try it. I was watching out of a hole in the blind. I had used the range finder and he had the yardage, he set the sight for 86 yards, and all that was left was to get into shooting position without being seen. This is what the antelope saw.

He eased the rifle up and the antelope had him pegged. The buck stared at us and I thought at any second he would bolt. The buck turned his head and Jacob got the big 50 on the shooting sticks. I heard the hammer cock. I heard the set trigger snap. I eased my finger into my left ear and watched. At the shot I saw the bucks whole left side sink in. I saw the buck thrown sideways a step. A huge hunk of hair was hanging in the air. I also saw the bullet skip at least four times across the dirt and grass kicking up dust. The buck was on the run now. Jacob said I could not have missed! I said, “you didn’t”. The buck wobbled and I saw the blood coming out of a hole in his ribs. A couple more steps and the buck was down. The big 460 grain Paper Patched slug had done the job.

He was so happy he had a smile all over his face. He had just killed his first Muzzleloader antelope buck. I was way more than excited for him. Ron

Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to Jacob and to you Ron for an excellent post/hunt. I've been on a couple antelope hunts and it is amazing the eyesight those critters have. To take one with a ML, and an opensighted sidelock at that, is a feat to accomplish. Good job to both of you.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, it's a joy to see a post like this. Father & son hunting together. That the hunt was a success is a bonus that has to be appreciated. Tell Jacob not to worry - the smile will wear off sooner or later.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice job you two. Great shot Jacob. Looks like it was well placed. That slug would have put a world of hurt on any critter. Great job, great antelope.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice speed goat, congratulations to the young man.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome! Tell him congrats! That buck has some cool character with it curling back toward center vs back.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron

Congrats to both of you... Jacob that is one fine animal...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

awesome!! Congrats on a great hunt and a very nice speed goat you got there!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

wow congrats......great hunt
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Great story.

Congrats on a successful hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.