Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why?????????

Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bigtimer
I have a question for you all. I have a nearly new CVA Optima Pro 50 cal. If I clean my gun real well and shoot it, the POI is about 4 inches high. Now the second shot is in or very near the bullseye. Every shot thereafter is dead on as long as I don't swab or clean between shots. Why is this happening? It's as if my gun likes a dirty barrel?????

BTW, I'm shooting 250 gr Nosler .451 HPs,
110 grains of Blackhorn 209
Winchester W209 primers

I'm about ready for a change. I want a muzzleloader that I can depend on. What would you all get????? Budget is around a grand for the gun, scope, rings and bases!!!!!! BTW, I'm a southpaw! I don't care for bolt guns (lefty) but willing to try anything that will go bang and hit where I'm aiming every time. I ain't askin for much am I?????
Then look no further... SAVAGE ML 10-II. (The lefthand shooting is no biggie anyway, it's a ML and I've shot my ML10 lefthanded since I bought it nearly 10 years ago.)

"Modern inlines" is an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned, they all still shoot powder that is centuries old in design and problems. If I were going to insist on shooting "smoke powder" then I'd go back to FFFg and a Hawkin style. A "modern inline" as far as I'm concerned is like a steam powered Ferrari!

I spray a shot of brake cleaner in my Savage and brush it out once a year whether it needs it or not!
HL
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Spike

I have been using Rem Oil Wipes to lube the boar of my ML .... so this is a no no? CVA Wolf BTW
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 4NRArU
I have been using Rem Oil Wipes to lube the boar of my ML .... so this is a no no? CVA Wolf BTW
My recommendation - which applies to bore lubricants, cleaning methods, sabots, bullets, patches, patch lube, loading method, wiping between shots, and all of the other arcane processes we love so much - is if it works for you, use it.

The opinions you see on this and other forums might be based on personal experience. But may also be based on nothing more than conjecture, belief, or what someone has read several times. Guys who shoot a half dozen shots in a range session may have very different results than someone who shoots twenty or fifty. High humidity, low humidity, and how much beer the shooter had the night before may all play a part.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Position of the Moon, Horrorscope, Sunspots.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Don't count on it being over an inch or two for them.
Your not saying CVA would lie to someone would you?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, they wouldn't do that.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bigtimer
My barrel will stay dirty throughout the season.
This may be a contributing factor with your problem. My ML season last for two weeks and this is too long to have a dirty barrel even with BH209 powder. You may be able to let it go a few days, but you will accumulate rust and corrosion! Just a thought.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
This may be a contributing factor with your problem. My ML season last for two weeks and this is too long to have a dirty barrel even with BH209 powder. You may be able to let it go a few days, but you will accumulate rust and corrosion! Just a thought.
I think it's ok with BH 209. One guy did an experiment, and left his barrel uncleaned for a year, with hunting in between. When he finally cleaned it. It was perfect.

I could never go that long, and it would be hard for me to do it for just out 9 day hunt, but I would with BH 209. No way with any other sub BP.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several times i have reloaded a dirty rifle, and continued the hunt for days and/or weeks. Most times this worked just fine. However, ever once in a great while, the rifle would of a sudden, rust. Why most time, the rifle doesn't rust, but one time out of the clear blue it rusted, i have no idea why.

It only takes the one time, and from then forward, the barrel has minor rust pitting. It doesn't much affect accuracy, but it is there forever.

The 'fluff' in the barrel which comes from burning Blackhorn powder seems to contain chemical substances that when combined with water vapor, will rust a rifle barrel. I know this, because i learned it the hard way. It doesn't seem wise to me to recommend one can hunt with a barrel with burnt Blackhorn powder in it, for days. I agree with rafsob about not going for days/weeks with a dirty barrel.

Myself, i recommend one reload immediately after a shot, and then at the end of that day, shoot the load, and clean the rifle. Then the rifle can be loaded in a clean barrel. A load in a clean barrel is probably good for a year, if one keeps water out.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll have to disagree. Here's a post from Carlos. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

I'm glad that some one ask that question here, and since I was just getting ready to post in another section I will do it here. BH 209 is not corrosive at all. I seen and read some claims in other forums that it was, and that is BS, and how do I know is not. Well here it is. Last year in Aug. one of my co-workers and me went to the range and shot his TC 50 cal. with a BERGARA barrel on it about 15 times, we did not clean the bore out just took the BP out clean the flash hole channel put it back in and loaded the gun. He use it thru all the season last year, he had it out in cold, rain, and what ever other weather we had here and he even went to OHIO for late ML season. After it was over he brought the gun to the store where we put it in the warehouse which does not have any heat or air what so ever. we would bring it once in a while and put in the store with cooling and heat and them take back to the warehouse. This gun remain loaded until yesterday, well over a year, the bore had not been cleaned since Aug. 2011 and the gun remain loaded. I took it out yesterday when I got to work, to it out back of the store,put a primer in it, and she went off. We took it back in the store, took the BP out wipe it with a rag zero rust like brand new, ran two patches down the bore and it was like mirror, no rust, no pitting, just mirror smooth. So if that does not prove BH is non-corrosive, I don't know what will. Now if you think you can do the same with any other sub out in the market, go for it and let me know how it turns out.
Carlos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.