Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
More problems with the Weather Shield on CVA Mountain Rifle >

More problems with the Weather Shield on CVA Mountain Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More problems with the Weather Shield on CVA Mountain Rifle

Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
If that is what it will take to keep this gun I may do it. It is a great shooting gun and fits me very nicely.
I bet it would be fairly cheap as well. I would do it for sure.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with one most of the post. If I were you I would ask to sent the complete rifle back. And ask if you can get it without the coating. Afterall the receiver and barrel are stainless.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Receiver is aluminum.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug makers have always lagged behind the "newest/bestest" powder. When Pyrodex was king, pretty much any breechplug would work. Then 777 came out and we had the infamous "crud ring". Breechplug makers went to work and designed a plug more compatible with less "fire in the hole". Then BH 209 comes out and they have to machine something totally different to increase the fire.

So it is pointless to run down another gun/breechplug because it doesn't shoot this or that powder well. They are all designed to do well for their special purpose and you can't compare apples to oranges.

Not sure what that has to do with weathershield coating, but of course, for those that have seen The Jerk, you know what the real "special purpose" is!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
o If it works for you, doesnt always mean it will work for others.
Print this out and tape it to your monitor.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
.........................It's much easier to use a BP that's designed for BH. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. You can use almost any primer except the ML primers, and it works fine. You can have the flash channel pretty clogged up before it won't work. Powder compression isn't as important.

It's a more forgiving BP, and cuts down almost 100% of the complaints CVA got. It also isn't something negative being said about CVA guns. It was a smart move for CVA and Western.

However, I stand by my statement that it's not absolutely needed.
If you or a close pal were taking the trip of a lifetime to Alaska, Africa, or some such, you would use, or recommend using, the made for Blackhorn breech plug, not the standard issue?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would recommend just what I said I would.

There's a Western BP in my MR, but I didn't pay for it.

btw I did hunt with the standard BP when the CVA BP was available. I wasn't hunting in Africa though.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Mountain Rifle Problem Fixed!!!

Well got a call back from a very nice fellow named Brensen from customer service. He explained that I should use the rifle for this years hunting ML season as long as all is well shooting it. I told him it is a tack driver and that would not be a problem.

He said that after the season is over he will send me a call tag and have the gun sent back to the factory and replace it with a new gun. He assured me that the new gun will not have this problem. I am happy. Don't know of anything else the company could possibly do for me to make me any more happier.

Got to say the customer service folks at CVA are top notch!!!

Last edited by rafsob; 09-18-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by rafsob
Well got a call back from a very nice fellow named Brensen from customer service. He explained that I should use the rifle for this years hunting ML season as long as all is well shooting it. I told him it is a tack driver and that would not be a problem.

He said that after the season is over he will send me a call tag and have the gun sent back to the factory and replace it with a new gun. He assured me that the new gun will not have this problem. I am happy. Don't know of anything else the company could possibly do for me to make me any more happier.

Got to say the customer service folks at CVA are top notch!!!
I think good customer service is the key to success in todays competitive world. What is sad though is that if there was better quality control a person wouldn't need to be so worried about customer service.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on who coated the parts? Was it CVA, or an outside source?

I don't think it was Bergara, because the receiver is done too.

CVA was good about my loose spot too. They gave me the paperwork to send the gun back. I might do it after the hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.