Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Taking a back-up gun? >

Taking a back-up gun?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Taking a back-up gun?

Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Taking a back-up gun?

In 2 weeks I'm off to Northern Quebec for a Caribou hunt (2 years in planning). I'm looking at a 1700 km drive, then 1.5 hours float plane, further north. On the fly-in portion, there are weight restrictions. Looks like the Triumph, with the 350gr FPB's will be the medicine, for the Caribou.

Question is do I take a back-up gun? It would be my 30-06.

What do you guys do?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnnyo
In 2 weeks I'm off to Northern Quebec for a Caribou hunt (2 years in planning). I'm looking at a 1700 km drive, then 1.5 hours float plane, further north. On the fly-in portion, there are weight restrictions. Looks like the Triumph, with the 350gr FPB's will be the medicine, for the Caribou.

What do you guys do?
Sounds like an outstanding trip - really wish I was going... but a for a trip of this magnitude I really think would also take the back-up especially a center fire, actually I know I would.

Is this a guided trip?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by johnnyo

What do you guys do?
That's trip of a lifetime so it's always good to have a backup but if I wanted to take the caribou with a muzzleloader I personally wouldn't take a centerfire for a backup. It really comes down to what you think will make the trip a success. There is certainly no shame in using a centerfire .

Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I too would take a back up , for me it would be another muzzle loader , but as stated no shame in taking the rifle.....GOOD LUCK and keep us back in the States posted.
Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, I would for sure be taking a backup gun. Heck, I even take backups on 400 mile trips.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Back up gun all the way.
i
You may want the CF if the hunt is tough. It would be a nice to have if you run the Triumph over with the 4 wheeler.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

You never know what will get damaged, lost, etc.. A back up rifle is a must. Good luck and we expect pictures and a good story.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I would take a the back up gun for sure. If all works out I'll be going on a short trip this yr and I'm taking an extra gun. Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have a second ML (no shame, I don't) definitely take the 30-06 as back up.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I learned about back ups the hard way, on a trip to northern Canada when I got there and started to check things out I found my scope completely fogged could see nothing but white. I took my bear using the scope mount and the front iron sight, it took almost all my ammo to get it so I knew where it would hit and there was no place up there to get more so I went hunting bear with 3 shot available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.