HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/371026-range-report-cva-mountain-rifle.html)

chaded 09-11-2012 08:28 AM

Just sand it off. :D

Muley Hunter 09-11-2012 08:36 AM

That will be a good look. :eek2:

rafsob 09-11-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3972643)
Dudley just emailed back. Warranty will cover it. What he had to say.

Yes, the warranty will cover that. Apparently some were coated without proper removal of the oil. We will replace any barrel that has this issue. Just instruct them to call our Customer Service Department at 770-449-4687

Thanks for the info pal. I sent them an email on my barrel, but couldn't send them the picture in their email forum. I will be going to the range in the am, but will call that number in the afternoon. Thanks again!

rafsob 09-11-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Breechplug (Post 3972539)
Nice review Rafsob.
I personally am no fan of any type of weathershield, I like a SS Barrel, there easy to clean inside and just need minor care on the out. One of my buddys has the TC Triumph with with weathershield, his is comming off in other places along with near the muzzle.
I dont think they can really make anything stick to the end of a muzzle and last, the high temps and powers are pretty distructive. CVA has great customer service, but Im guessing the appearance and wear and tear aspects of the ML wont be covered under warranty. Even if they were to replace it with another one Im sure the next one would do the same thing.
I know it looks good to some but for me there's no need to coat a SS barrel with anything.
Again nice report, nice groups and nice ML!
(BP)

Thanks BP. I love the gun, but the coating chipping put me off. I will call them tomorrow and see how they can help me. If I could just chip off the rest of the coating around the muzzle crown, I would think it would last and not be a problem. I will mull it over in my brain.

rafsob 09-11-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by chaded (Post 3976028)
Just sand it off. :D

If I keep it and don't send it back I may see about having it bead blasted. That would be an idea, but I just hope the barrel underneath is not blemished in anyway!!! Now that would be a problem.

I seem to be between the rock and a hard place! :confused0024:

chaded 09-11-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 3976106)
If I keep it and don't send it back I may see about having it bead blasted. That would be an idea, but I just hope the barrel underneath is not blemished in anyway!!! Now that would be a problem.

I seem to be between the rock and a hard place! :confused0024:

I'm obviously not for certain but I would bet that the barrel is not finished underneath like there other SS barrels. It wouldn't make much sense for them to bead blast finish them and then coat them but neither does coating stainless steel barrels with that weatherguard stuff either so who knows?

ronlaughlin 09-11-2012 03:16 PM

Just me. Just me, but i would be far more worried about the issue Muley is experiencing with the loose spot where the bullet sits in his MR. That is just like my X7 when i shot a ramrod, and i don't much think it is a good thing. A loose spot in the barrel right where the bullet sits is a serious issue in my mind. The cosmetic problem with the coat stripping off at the muzzle, i would fix by removing all the coating on the muzzle, in the near vicinity... However, if it were actually my rifle, i might feel differently.

sbuff 09-11-2012 03:51 PM

Maybe CVA should do a recall on the ones coated with oil left on the barrel. Do they have a serial number or set number before they new what was wrong?

I guess its one thing to admit there is a issue, its anther to make a excuse.

Rafsob I truly wish you look with your issue or any one else who has this issue.There is no doubt that gun is a shooter.
Steve

Muley Hunter 09-11-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3976146)
Just me. Just me, but i would be far more worried about the issue Muley is experiencing with the loose spot where the bullet sits in his MR. That is just like my X7 when i shot a ramrod, and i don't much think it is a good thing. A loose spot in the barrel right where the bullet sits is a serious issue in my mind. The cosmetic problem with the coat stripping off at the muzzle, i would fix by removing all the coating on the muzzle, in the near vicinity... However, if it were actually my rifle, i might feel differently.

I don't like it either, but I like i said already. All my muzzleloaders except one Wolf were like that. I always found a bullet that worked.

I have a lot of options. All sabots will work, and a lot of guys probably have the same problem, but don't notice it because they shoot sabots.

Powerbelts also fit perfect.

I could even get a Thor to work be either knurling a .502 Thor, or using a .503, and a short starter.

Even though the .502 Thor feels loose. It was still very accurate. I posted the target. It just needs to be a little tighter to make me happy.

It's just noticeable more with a bullet like a Thor that needs to have a perfect fit.

1874sharpsshooter 09-11-2012 04:19 PM

I dropped 3 , 495 gr conicals sized to 503 in there also. Give them a try too.

Muley Hunter 09-11-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 3976180)
I dropped 3 , 495 gr conicals sized to 503 in there also. Give them a try too.

Just to check the fit I assume you mean?

1874sharpsshooter 09-11-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3976184)
Just to check the fit I assume you mean?

To knock the snot out of an elk or big ol mule deer. ;)
Or to check fit either one .

Muley Hunter 09-11-2012 04:51 PM

The only one getting the snot knocked out of them, would be me.

I can't shoot heavy bullets anymore.

sabotloader 09-11-2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3976189)
The only one getting the snot knocked out of them, would be me.

I can't shoot heavy bullets anymore.

Shoot the smaller of the two I sent you with 90 grains of BH - I am thinking it will be just fine...

Muley Hunter 09-11-2012 05:13 PM

Will do. I have more than a month to get something worked out.

I'll be really surprised if I even see a bull on this hunt. This unit will be so crowded it's going to be a nightmare. I'm just looking to have a good time, and I can't do that if i'm worried about the bullet. I need to find some timber out of the way, and hope we don't get a blizzard.