Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wolf vs Optima?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wolf vs Optima?

I am considering buying either a wolf or an optima and I don't have any experience with either, I know the optima has a 2" longer barrel and I can get it in stainless. Which is the better better gun? And is it better to have a blue or stainless steel barrel? Any information will be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by longbeardbuster
I am considering buying either a wolf or an optima and I don't have any experience with either, I know the optima has a 2" longer barrel and I can get it in stainless. Which is the better better gun? And is it better to have a blue or stainless steel barrel? Any information will be appreciated.
I personally prefer stainless so I would go with the stainless rifle. From the accounts that I have read the Optima is a good rifle.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You named about the only difference. They both shoot as accurate.

The Wolf is lighter and points quicker if that matters to you.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Me, i have both and i love the Optima. Both are equal shooters, but the SS does it for me.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot a Wolf and it was an accurate rifle. I am not sure which of them have a BERGARA BARREL. I have been reading the descriptions of the rifles CVA makes and when they discuss the Accura and Apex they point out it has a Bergara barrel. This is not the case for the Optima or the Wolf. But if the barrels are made in the same factory, then would that not make them a Bergara barrel? I think they both do, but can not swear to that fact.

I personally handled the Optima and liked the way it shouldered. I have even considered purchasing one, but have talked myself out of it. I would also go with the Stainless Steel barrel. Very easy to clean and maintain. Actually it is easy to SEE fouling compared to the blued barrel.

I am sure either would make a great hunting rifle.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have shot a Wolf and it was an accurate rifle. I am not sure which of them have a BERGARA BARREL. I have been reading the descriptions of the rifles CVA makes and when they discuss the Accura and Apex they point out it has a Bergara barrel. This is not the case for the Optima or the Wolf. But if the barrels are made in the same factory, then would that not make them a Bergara barrel? I think they both do, but can not swear to that fact.

I personally handled the Optima and liked the way it shouldered. I have even considered purchasing one, but have talked myself out of it. I would also go with the Stainless Steel barrel. Very easy to clean and maintain. Actually it is easy to SEE fouling compared to the blued barrel.

I am sure either would make a great hunting rifle.
This is an old discussion. Yes, they are all made in the Bergara factory. So, technically they are all Bergara barrels. The one they stamp Bergara go thorough more polishing steps, so they are called the premium barrels, and they get the stamp.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

makes sense to me. I figured they were made in the same factory. Who is making Tradition barrels now, do you know?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

Ardessa makes the Traditions barrels i believe.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

In my opinion having owned both, stainless steel is worth the extra on a muzzle loader. That said, I won't comment on the debate over the two guns in question here other than to say I'd go for whichever I could get in SS.

Doesn't thew Wolf come in SS though? Or is that nickle plating?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Banned

no ss on the wolf. The older models you could get nickle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.