Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Super 91

Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Spike

Default White Super 91

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have a White Super 91 .50 caliber that I bought new many years ago. I haven't shot it for several years now. When I was shooting it I was using 90 grains of ffg black powder and a 460 grain Superslug using percussion caps. I don't think Superslugs are available anymore. I did order some "Noexcuse" 460 grain slugs that I haven't tried yet. I also have the 209 primer breech plug set up from White that I have never tried. I am looking for some recommendations for a black powder substitute/209 primer/bullet combination and would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Sorry for all the questions. I haven't done any black powder shooting for a very long time.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by frogfurr
Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have a White Super 91 .50 caliber that I bought new many years ago. I haven't shot it for several years now. When I was shooting it I was using 90 grains of ffg black powder and a 460 grain Superslug using percussion caps. I don't think Superslugs are available anymore. I did order some "Noexcuse" 460 grain slugs that I haven't tried yet. I also have the 209 primer breech plug set up from White that I have never tried. I am looking for some recommendations for a black powder substitute/209 primer/bullet combination and would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Sorry for all the questions. I haven't done any black powder shooting for a very long time.
Thoughts... I really hope the .503-460 grain No Excuse work for you. They actually might be to loose to fit in the bore. Not all but many Whites have a large 50 cal bore and you might need a .504 even a .5045 conical to fit your barrel correctly. First time you go to load one you will know.

I really do prefer to shoot T7 powder vs real BP or Pyro, it somewhat cleaner and not near as corrosive. If you were to continue to shoot caps you probably would not run into the crud ring problem.

You might make yourself some Windex patches to push down between shots if fouling were to become a problem..

When I first got my White Umag I switched to 209 ignition and shot that for quite awhile, but have recently changed back to cap ignition and will stay with it in a plunger gun. I use #11 Mag caps.

Cayugad, Sharpshooter, and Flounder will jump in here at some point and they both are White shooters with a lot of experiance...

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-26-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally like to shoot Triple Seven 2f in my White Rifles. If I am deer hunting 65 grains of powder and a 460 grain Bull Shop Conical is what I would use. I have shot the No Excuses, and they do fine. But my rifles are Model 97's and I still use the #11 caps. I see no reason to change, even though I have a 209 adaptor.

If I were hunting something larger, say elk or moose I would load 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I want to point out, I am not one of the skilled shooters that would ever try a 200-250 yard shot. 150 yards is my max range with a muzzleloader. Only because that is all I can practice to.

Your rifle should do fine. If you find the No Excuses that are .503 too loose, paper patch them or give them a wrap of teflon tape. Also if you shoot off a fouled bore, that helps with loose fitting conicals. So do not swab the bore. Just have fun and shoot.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

My White has a scope. But off a bench rest, it will really shoot.

65 grains has a lot more power then you might think. For deer I believe its all I need.

And these conicals get good expansion.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

If the no excuses are to loose and a fouling shot doesn't help you , you could try Steve at White rifles. Last I spoke to him he had several power punch bullets which I think are cast a bit larger then the no excuses.My super 91-11 likes either bullet with around 90gr of T7 . I swicth back and forth from the number 11 to 209 ignition and both POI are the same from my rest.

I will probably be a black sheep but my Super 91-11 does shoot sabots and pellets very well too if you want to take a try at that. XTP's and Deep Curls both work for me in the 300gr version. As for cleaning Sabotloader hit the nail on the head with the windex mix.

I have a peep site on mine but many have the plain williams rifled site or a scope.Either way you have a very sought after gun and a great shooter I am sure.

Steve
Old 08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

sabotloader, cayugad, sbuff. I appreciate your quick replies. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear from actual owners of these rifles after hours of research. I didn't know that White made these rifles with different bore diameters. I just checked mine and .504 caliber is etched on the barrel. Other than the White 460 grain Superslugs I have no preference for bullets. I did try White's saboted slugs years ago but they didn't shoot well from my gun. I do have some untried "Noexcuse" bullets. As far as percussion cap verses 209 primer I have never had any problems with percussion caps on my Super 91. Heck, I didn't even know Winchester made percussion caps. sobotloader; thanks for the tip on the Windex and T7 powder. Never heard of the Windex tip. cuyugad; thanks for back up info on the T7 and Bull Shop conicals and was very impressed with your pics. bstuff; thanks for your help also. I am not sure how to contact White.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 AM
smm
Spike

Also a super 91 owner, my experience is limited to about 100 rounds.Both white ss 480 g. and no excuses 460 g. proved to be too loose with the clean barrel that I prefer to shoot. Using a one layer wrap of white teflon tape on both bullets produced a good slip fit and groups under 2 inches at 100 yds. with t73f loads of 75-90g. RWS #11 caps were used without a wad. Also bullshop 460g. .504 fit well on a clean barrel without the teflon wrap,but have not been fired and there seems to be some question if they will be available in the future. steve
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Frogfurr ,contact Steve at - [email protected]
He can help you with parts and bullets.

Steve
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum Frogfurr. Good to see another White shooter aboard. I would stick with the #11 caps if I were you.
Art
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by flounder33
Welcome to the forum Frogfurr. Good to see another White shooter aboard. I would stick with the #11 caps if I were you.
Art
I second that. all my Whites are #11 and I haven't had a problem with that set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.