Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I Hope He's OK

Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I Hope He's OK

A young man was injured at the range today and I certainly hope he's OK. A gentleman sat at the shooting table beside me and had his grandson with him. He said he shoots muzzleloaders and I asked him what kind. He said he had a Thompson Center Omega and his grandson has a CVA Wolf. Later as I was about to fire a shot I could see the young man looking through the scope of the Wolf preparing to fire a shot. After he shot at the target about 15 yards away his grandfather told him "It looks like you shot the center out of the bulls eye." He had, but apparently he got "SCOPED" in the process. I saw his grandfather wipe one small drop of blood from his forehead but the young man seemed to be OK. So his grandfather loaded another round and asked the young man if he wanted to shoot again. He said no. At this point he wasn't looking well and his grandfather asked him if he wanted to go sit in the truck. Before I knew it his grandfather had him in his arms and was headed to his truck. Someone asked if he was OK and his grandfather replied "He's asleep". I guess he had passed out. His grandfather came back to the table and gathered his things and left, so I hope the young man is OK.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Banned

what the heck did he have it loaded with? Thats one reason i like my lead sled, you can be safe with young shooters and not worry about them getting hit by the scope.

Im betting he got a concussion
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's terrible. Getting whacked by the scope can be serious. It's only happened to me once with a friend's 300 Remington Ultra Mag. It gave me a headache and I declined a second shot.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope he's ok too. Young ones cannot grasp the fact that you must hold a rifle tight to your shoulder. Most inexperienced shooters will actually hold it away from them or lightly touch the shoulder. And we all know what happens next. Old Mr. Momentum dives the butt back into the shouder and sometimes a scope to the eyesocket.
That's why you should start youngins and trainees with light loads first.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something like this could scare him and leave a negative reaction to firearms in the future. Hope this doesn't work on him that way.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's terrible. Getting whacked by the scope can be serious
Yes it can be. I learned this lesson the first time I fired a scoped rifle. The scope hit the bill of my cap and knocked the cap off of my head. No harm done but the fright brought the lesson home that the rifle must be tight to the shoulder...and the cap turned around
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

No need to turn the cap around. Just move the bill of the cap up a bit, so it's over the top of the scope.

No sense in looking like Rambo if you don't have to.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

That's why I like to use and recommend shotgun/muzzle loader type scopes that have a longer eye relief of about 4-5 inches.
Some youth really can't be depended on to hold a rifle tight enough to prevent it from recoiling upward with some muzzle flip when firing heavier loads.
A while back, a youngster at a machine gun shoot in MA couldn't hold on to a micro UZI and the gun flipped up and around with his finger still on the trigger which shot him in the head right in front of his father and a crowd of people.
Someone (IIRC a 15 year old) who was overseeing the boy and standing right next to him couldn't grab the gun in time to save him.
A local police chief who was in charge of the public shoot was criminally charged and put on trial for inadequate supervision and/or negligence. Thankfully he was acquitted by the jury.
But as a result the laws have been changed in some of the New England states about the minimum age for shooting a machine gun. The boy's father and shoot organizers shouldn't have let such a young kid fire such a short barreled machine gun under the circumstances. Even if it wasn't a criminal act it was still poor judgement by everyone involved for trying to accommodate an 8 year old.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-12-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by arcticap
That's why I like to use and recommend shotgun/muzzle loader type scopes that have a longer eye relief of about 4-5 inches.
Some youth really can't be depended on to hold a rifle tight enough to prevent it from recoiling upward with some muzzle flip when firing heavier loads.
A while back, a youngster at a machine gun shoot in MA couldn't hold on to a micro UZI and the gun flipped up and around with his finger still on the trigger which shot him in the head right in front of his father and a crowd of people.
Someone (IIRC a 15 year old) who was overseeing the boy and standing right next to him couldn't grab the gun in time to save him.
A local police chief who was in charge of the public shoot was criminally charged and put on trial for inadequate supervision and/or negligence. Thankfully he was acquitted by the jury.
But as a result the laws have been changed in some of the New England states about the minimum age for shooting a machine gun. The boy's father and shoot organizers shouldn't have let such a young kid fire such a short barreled machine gun under the circumstances. Even if it wasn't a criminal act it was still poor judgement by everyone involved for trying to accommodate an 8 year old.
You don't let a boy oversee a younger boy. Someone is very responsible for this. We shouldn't need to make laws for common sense.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:46 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You don't let a boy oversee a younger boy. Someone is very responsible for this. We shouldn't need to make laws for common sense.
that depends on the boy. My 14 year old is more responsible than many adults I see now days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.