Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

You may like this

Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default You may like this

Finally, a little break in the KS heat today. While it still hit 90, we have a North wind a low humidity.

My 23 year old son has just moved home to finish his last year of school. He's been gone for 5 years and we all have a little adjusting to do. ( that's another story ) Anyway, he will be hunting with the smoke pole this fall. He's done so in the past but with close supervision. I want him to own the process so off to the range we went. The range session was a bust as my best two shooters were spraying shots all over. We were shooting with hot barrels and I sure hope that was the problem.

This is what you may like. I bought a set of "Lane's Tubes " and tray to hold them at Wally World. The whole set up is less than $20 and it made reloading at the range a breeze. These will also double as field loaders. I know other have enjoyed and posted about these but I finally saw the light. I thought I'd post the pics if anyone was interested.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice and will keep your load neat. But isn't it a bit bulky?
What are the approximate dimensions?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I have Lanes tubes but never use them on the range because I am never sure how many rounds I want to shoot. I do use them hunting. That looks like a neat system you have there. Smart thinking there..
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice and will keep your load neat. But isn't it a bit bulky?
What are the approximate dimensions?
3.5" wide, 4" high, 10" long.

I have a carry case I bring to the range with all my suff and it fits right in.

I loaded it up with 100, 110 & 120, 9 of each color. We only shot about half of them but I don't see any reason to unload with the airtight seal the tubes provide.

Positive: I was able to capture all my spillage while loading. It may have saved me a 100 grains or so.

Negative: You're temped to speed through rounds. The load while you shoot method helps slow the process down. It will take some dicipline moving forward.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I also have Lane's tubes and they work great. I have worked with them and use them when I am working with my hunting rigs.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

yep ,I use the same system to hold my Lane's Tubes at the range. It's an ice cube tray from the Walmart and less then $ 3 bucks each, works great.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Spike

Great idea and way to store your powder for the range!!!