Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1x scope shooting

Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 1x scope shooting

Today I was not sure what I wanted to shoot. I got the yard work done this morning and decided to do some close shooting. So I looked over all the non scoped traditional rifles but they did not appeal to me. Then I saw the Knight LK-93 with the 1x32mm Traditions Scope. Now that appealed to me, and I have not shot it in a while. So we grabbed that one up.

The target was ranged and it said 44 yards twice, 43 yards once. So I called it at 44 yards.

This is my tree stand rifle. I use it on the edge of a cedar/balsam marsh on the property. All the shots are very close. I think its 31 yards from the stand to the creek and after that, you really can't hardly see into the alder anyway. I use this because the 1x32 scope gathers a lot of light for the afternoon/dusk shooting, and its an accurate easy to carry rifle with that reduced stock.

I was loading 85 grains of Schuetzen 2f black powder. I have to put the powder in a Graf's black powder bottle because other wise the tops don't fit the Schuetzen jug. But that's not a big deal.

I was shooting some 44 caliber .430 diameter Hornady XTP 240 grain bullets. The Green Harvester sabots must be EZ load, although the container did not say. They loaded real easy. I was swabbing with dishwater. Only the best for my rifles. It came fresh out of the sink this morning, after breakfast. The caps are labeled (and we know they are CCI) Winchester Magnum #11 caps.

To the edge of the yard is 44 yards today. All depends on where I leave the shooting table after mowing the lawn. Its amazing how that 5 inch red bull all but disappears when you lay the cross hairs of that scope over it. But all I did was center the hairs in the bull and squeeze off the shot as best as I could.

The very first shot was the low right on the inside white middle ring, on a squeaky clean barrel. The main group, holding dead cover on the bull hit just under the bull (on the fouled/swabbed barrel) in about an inch and a half group. From dead center of the bull to the bottom of the red is 2-1/2 inches. The rifle I believe is sighted in for 30 yards.

I then held a little high to see if I could sneak a few up. One really got away from me, but the ones touching the edge of the center bull were done by aiming just a little above center in the bull. The hard part of this scope is, you really do not see exactly where that bull is as the hairs cover a great deal of it.

But for 50 yards and under, I have no doubt I can put that 240 grains XTP into the kill area of a deer. At 30 yards as they debate jumping the creek, when they land on the other side, they are mine.

Then the bad news. And I hope someone can tell me...

As I took the rifle apart to clean it, I pulled the barrel/trigger assembly from the stock. And the lever/plate that you move to engage the safety when the rifle is on the range.. fell off. I found the small pin that goes in from the back side of the safety and knew it had to cover the three pins on the side of the safety. But is there like a locking ring that holds that pin in place. I have the pin but it free floats. And because of that the safety does not work. Now granted the back safety works fine. But I like to use the side safety when hunting. I will have to look and see if I can find an exploded view of that safety, or call Knight to see what they can offer.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's still pretty good Dave. But make life easier on yourself. Use a big old 12" bull. Then you will be able to center the cross hairs better. Andwhat would be even better is to cut out large white paper circles and tape them to your target butt. The crosshairs will really stand out on that white 'bull'.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I thought of taping a white paper plate to a cardboard box and running that back to 100 yards. A person should be able to see that pretty good. It would make a good aim point with the black cross hairs.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad

Then the bad news. And I hope someone can tell me...

As I took the rifle apart to clean it, I pulled the barrel/trigger assembly from the stock. And the lever/plate that you move to engage the safety when the rifle is on the range.. fell off. I found the small pin that goes in from the back side of the safety and knew it had to cover the three pins on the side of the safety. But is there like a locking ring that holds that pin in place. I have the pin but it free floats. And because of that the safety does not work. Now granted the back safety works fine. But I like to use the side safety when hunting. I will have to look and see if I can find an exploded view of that safety, or call Knight to see what they can offer.
Nice shooting Dave...Yesterday morning I ran to the farm and even out to the rock pit wanted to get some shooting in, but both places were just to darn dry and I could not get a comfortable feeling about shooting, so I ended up with a good ride but that was about it...

I had a trigger laying here on the counter so I took some pictures to see if it might help you at all.

The safety part is the piece with the spring around it. When you pull the safety lever back it pushes the rod the spring covers in front of the trigger mechanism and will not allow the trigger to drop the sear lever... Unless... the rear adjustment screw is set to far in...

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks like I have more looking to do, seeing that locking clip and spring. That is what I am missing. Thanks Mike.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Spike

Cayugad , When you are looking at the right side of the trigger you should have a pin and c-clip on the lower right that hold's it down and one in the upper left that goes in the slot for fire or safty. There should be a dimple kind of to the right of the slot (in the middle) that should have a pointed pin and spring that goes inside of houseing and will stick out the other side a little when you switch from safty to fire.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like I have more looking to do, seeing that locking clip and spring. That is what I am missing. Thanks Mike.
There should be two 'C' clips one for each post. Then the safety pin is the one with the convex head with the spring around the shaft...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good pics. I have never unassembled my knight triggers at all.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I found the spring believe it or not by searching the floor. I am guessing the C clips must have disappeared when it all blew apart because I could not find the C clips so I made them out of a soda pop can. Put it all together and it works. Next time I get to a hardware store I will pick up some of the C clips and do a permanent fix to it.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I found the spring believe it or not by searching the floor. I am guessing the C clips must have disappeared when it all blew apart because I could not find the C clips so I made them out of a soda pop can. Put it all together and it works. Next time I get to a hardware store I will pick up some of the C clips and do a permanent fix to it.
Yep... I think that is a plan because I am not sure about the pop can alum-num

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.