Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning My Old Army >

Cleaning My Old Army

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning My Old Army

Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Spike

It can be used as a lubricant and for cleaning. it stops your guns from rusting. just spray some on a rag and wipe it down and you should be good
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

The only thing I found with WD-40 is ... ever clean a gun and store it with WD-40? Then later you wipe the gun down again. And finally you take it down and there is a "varnish" sticky like substance on the gun. That is the WD-40 and all the dust, lint, dirt, what ever. I never use it in my triggers. I just decided that Water Displacement-40, while its good to get things moving or drive water out of some place, I like a good gun oil.

Before you use the revolver again, take a patch and put isopropyl alcohol on it. Run that in the cylinders and barrel. That removes any gun oil. Also if you want to have fun shooting, get some American Pioneer Powder 3f or Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder. Use that. It cleans with simple water. The dish soap is just an added bonus. Your not hunting with the revolver and so you can shoot all day with the APP 3f and the gun never needs to be broken down.

That is a 2" thick spruce plank that is dried out. I set that up and shot combat style at it. As you can see that 25 grains of APP will have some penetration. I shot 60 rounds one afternoon and never had to break the revolver down for a field cleaning.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

You oil the bore and chambers (lightly), but wipe them down with alcohol before shooting again.

WD-40 is a lousy lube. I use Ballistol.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Used it for now. I'll pick up something more appropriate when I buy the other things.

Thanks for the tips on powders. I may just do that as an easy clean is always nice.