Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question on Canadian 209 conversion >

Question on Canadian 209 conversion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on Canadian 209 conversion

Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Question on Canadian 209 conversion

Is the armurier lavaltrie 209 conversion kit for the 700ml a slam fire or a normal firing pin like a center fire?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by The_Hunter323
Is the armurier lavaltrie 209 conversion kit for the 700ml a slam fire or a normal firing pin like a center fire?
It is a slam fire conversion... It is the best of the Remington 209 conversions.

If you want to remove the 'slam fire' aspect you would need to go to Hunter's home made conversion.

Canadian 209 Nipple

You can shoot BH with the Canadian conversion but it not very clean. But you can not use a hot primer... W209 or Rem STS. If you do shoot BH, make sure that you have a weather shield on the nose of the bolt.

Copper weather shield installed on the nose of the bolt. Even the yellow 20 gage shot gun sell converted to a weather shield works.

I am not a fan of BH and prefer to shoot T7 so the Canadian conversion works very well for me.

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

It might be the best conversion out there still keeping the rifle a slam fire!

If one was to go to the green board they would learn of a "Hunter conversion" that converts the bolt to a 209 primer holding bolt with a modified firing pin, and a different breech plug that is non venting. IMHO that is the best conversion out there for the 700ML. Last I knew less than $100.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Spike

well i was just wondering because my dad who is a machinist can make the conversion piece of the breechplug and was ging to see if he could make one with the same dimensions just dont put the slots and holes in it...to make it a cleaner conversion