Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
forgot to bring something to the range again. >

forgot to bring something to the range again.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

forgot to bring something to the range again.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default forgot to bring something to the range again.

I headed to the range early this morning to beat the heat. I had all my stuff ready and packed up, or so I thought. got the range. started going thru my range box. could not find the bullets I was planning on shooting. home cast lee 501-454 out of my silver eagle side lock. (either a traditions made or cva bobcat).

found where I had some xpts, powerbelts, tc cheap shots, and prvi .401 180grs in my kit. so, sabot test out of a sidelock.

shot 60grs of t7 3f
cci #11 mags.
tasco bucksight (yes the one at wally world)

I did pack my 320gr lee reals packed the wrong size, had the 54cals.
I will post pics later.
prvi .401180grs in a harvester cr sabot showed promise, it was the odd ball powder with blackmag 3 85grs. had 4 shots one went really high off the target. 3shots about 2in at 50yrds. did better then the rest i tested.
next best was the tc cheap shots in supplied sabots. 4in 3shot group with 60grs of t73f.

rest where so so, i think the gun likes tight loading bullets. shooting lee reals like a champ. have not found a round ball patch lube combo it likes yet.

of course I took my mossberg 715t. found something out about it too. it will not shoot wolf target match ammo unless the barrel is hot.

I found the bullets I was going to shoot today. they where setting on my reloading table in the box I packed them in. :ss:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

You've got to stop forgetting things Corey. You were wearing your pants, weren't you?

Gotta` like a gun that shoots REALs well. They have plenty of killing power and are cheap to shoot. What kind of group did you get with them?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

yeah, dont you over look your stuff fer you head out?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I do a pre check list before heading out. I fake loading everything I intend to shoot. And that way I know if I have all the things I need to shoot. Then I normally forget something obvious. But normally its just inside the back door, so that is not a problem.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
You've got to stop forgetting things Corey. You were wearing your pants, weren't you?

Gotta` like a gun that shoots REALs well. They have plenty of killing power and are cheap to shoot. What kind of group did you get with them?
hell no, I was wearing shorts :P

well, I only could shot one because I brought the wrong size.

the 250grs with 65grs of t7 3f with a wad, where my hunting load last year. only sighted them in for 50yrds.

well, i would still tested sabots in the rifle more then I did last year. I just moved up the time table. that is why I pack extra bullets in my kit. did double and triple check to make sure i had all my stuff before I left the range. I was missing like 3lbs of lead but I knew where that was lol

here's the picks.
1-3 (was 4 but throw that out because the miss was all me) pvrz 40cal 180grs in a harvester cr sabot 85grs of blackmag3
4-6 348grs powerbelt 60grs of t7 3f
7-10 .430 250gr xtp green tc sabots

230grs tc cheapshot supplied sabot 60grs of t7 3f, 1,3,5 clean ignition, 2,4 hangfire.

I swapped the scopes on my mossberg 715t to my centerpoint. the gun it was on is up for sale.

25yrd sight in cci blazers

50yrds 40rds of cci blazers

top it all off last nights dinner
Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
yeah, dont you over look your stuff fer you head out?
my shop was around 100degrees last night. well was just put a fan in there. did check before i left the shop for the night. did not think about doing it before leaving for the range.

the red rooster lube even soften with olive oil holds up great lol.

did have extra bullets. even a handful of lee reals. decide on what I shot shot today
Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't feel too bad. The last two range excursions I forgot my ear protection...of course it did not take too long to figure it out.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

done that only once. after that, I started keeping 1 pair in my truck and one pair in my shooting box
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

corey - I told you, You need to make yourself a checklist. Its a very simple thing to do.
bullets, powder, targets, range rod, sand bags, tape/stapler, etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
corey - I told you, You need to make yourself a checklist. Its a very simple thing to do.
bullets, powder, targets, range rod, sand bags, tape/stapler, etc.
i did forget I took my tape out of my bag, because I needed for something around the house but I had that covered.

as for the bullets I swore I put them in my box. but I had a back up plan anyway. always do if something seems like it not going to shoot well.

sadly that was the last of all those bullets I shot. it may be been a sign anyway. the muzzleloader I was shooting was killing me with recoil. going to put a slip on recoil pad on it.