Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Impossible shot

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Spike

Default Impossible shot

on the show impossible shot there was a guy who hit a balloon at 300 yards with a flint lock muzzleloader...CRAZY
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

That is not really impossible. Although it does take a lot of skill and knowledge of your weapon and load to make that shot. But during the Revolutionary War, one of the greatest threats to the British Officers were American Snipers. While the British army was armed with the Standard Brown Bess Musket which in battle line formation is a very formidable weapon... many of the roaming bands of American free men or militiamen were armed with rifled barrel roundball rifles. And some of them often made man size shots at that 300 yard distance. Most of our pioneer militiamen were able to do 100 yard shots all day long. Now that does not sound like much, but up against a smoothbore musket, that is a real advantage.

Now I am not saying that a balloon is the size of a man. But many people with the correct rifle, ammo, powder and PRACTICE can train themselves to make some amazing shots.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Spike

I was impressed when a man stands flat footed and free hands a 300 yard shoot at a balloon with a flint lock.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

That is a nice shot. My father in his rendezvous days used to shoot at 300 yard balloons. It was an added competition. I've tagged our 550yard gong multiple times with my Lyman great plains. The balloon shot might be more impressive because that's hold over while I have a spot on the hill side to aim at for drop. If I had to guess the drop at 550 yards I would say it's at least 40 to 50 feet. Probably more towards 40 feet. No way of really knowing I just aim at a certain rock and that's the right drop in feet to hit that gong. It was a fun day at the range zeroing in on that gong. When you hit a foot or two low or high your like that's getting close. It's insanity but sure fun to chunk some lead.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a guy shoot an 1861 Springfield with a mini ball on Youtube. He hit what looked like a 2ft square gong at 800 yds. The bullet dropped 73 ft.

Not bad for primitive open sights.