Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Day

Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Range Day

After weeks and weeks of other things keeping me from the range, I finally made it out today.

I recently put a Williams FP receiver sight on my BK-92. The goal for today was to get it on paper. Given that it was in the low 80's today I decided that I would shoot some old conicals I have in the shooting box.

The loads for today were TC Maxi-Hunter 350 gr over 70 grains of T7 3F and some old Buffalo Ball-ets over 50 grains of T7 3F.

I did get the sight lined up, but I recall why those two type of bullets were in my rang box so long. I have simple never been able to make either of those shoot well in any of my ML's. today it was 6+ inch groups. Don't get me wrong. I still had a great time. But those bullets just do not work for me. I do recall having much better luck with Hornady Great Plains 385 gr. I could usually get 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 with those anytime (open sights).

Does anyone else have a certain bullet that just will not work well for them?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

385gr buffalo conicals. They suck big time!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Dutch
Powerbelts
They suck even more

Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
After weeks and weeks of other things keeping me from the range, I finally made it out today.

I recently put a Williams FP receiver sight on my BK-92. The goal for today was to get it on paper. Given that it was in the low 80's today I decided that I would shoot some old conicals I have in the shooting box.

The loads for today were TC Maxi-Hunter 350 gr over 70 grains of T7 3F and some old Buffalo Ball-ets over 50 grains of T7 3F.

I did get the sight lined up, but I recall why those two type of bullets were in my rang box so long. I have simple never been able to make either of those shoot well in any of my ML's. today it was 6+ inch groups. Don't get me wrong. I still had a great time. But those bullets just do not work for me. I do recall having much better luck with Hornady Great Plains 385 gr. I could usually get 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 with those anytime (open sights).

I have shot the Buffalo 385's in my Knight MK-85 and it really did do well with a 100 grains of T7-3f a #11 mag cap, but I was also using a shot card under the bullet.

I have not shot it in any other gun - so I have no idea about that.

Are you only interested in a conical? Another good conical that should work are No-Excuse .503-460 grain lead bullets...

This is a Bull Shop and the No-Excuse is basically the same thing...

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.