Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega round 2

Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Omega round 2

I decided to take the Omega back out and see what would happen at 100 yards.

005 by 1874sharpsshooter, on Flickr

I stayed with the white hots ( 100 gr) and 777 primers but I switched to a faster lighter bullet. I took the 200 gr Shockwaves in the blue sabot.

the hole to the right was the first shot, the one to the left was the second shot.

011 by 1874sharpsshooter, on Flickr

I picked up one of the sabots while walking to the target

012 by 1874sharpsshooter, on Flickr

This target is three shots at a 100 yards

013 by 1874sharpsshooter, on Flickr

The third shot was much lower but i know its me and not the gun. I think I have been shooting with a scope to much and it has really hindered my shooting open sights. Plus the barrel was fairly hot as I didnt let it cool between shots.
I think I better spend quite a bit more time getting back into shooting with with open sights before the season gets here though, even though it is minute of deer .

I never made an adjustment on the peep at all.It appears the 200 gr shot at 100 yards near the same poi as the 250 gr at 50 yards.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is better shooting than i managed this morning. Conditions were perfect for me. It was 38 degrees when i started shooting up there by Sheridan Lake. Myself, i have a harder time with the iron sights than you do. One must get ready for the refuge hunt. That peep seems to work quite well; when i first saw it, i was concerned about it having adequate elevation adjustment. Looking good!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

1874sharpsshooter

When you show these targets I fergit... it is open sights and a ghost ring at that... It is so easy to have just a wee bit different picture each time you shoot, especially @ a 100. It will take some getting use to ignore that back sight and let your eye do all the work especially after shooting a lot of scopes....

But yer target shows all 3 shots would have caused a fatality...

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should practice some field position shooting too with the peeps.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

Chet, if you have some time, could you please take some good up close pictures of that peep set up for me? Mark from cva said those work well on the Apex if the shooter needs open sights. I just sure hate to spend $100 on one and find that it doesn't fit the bill.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Chet, if you have some time, could you please take some good up close pictures of that peep set up for me? Mark from cva said those work well on the Apex if the shooter needs open sights. I just sure hate to spend $100 on one and find that it doesn't fit the bill.
I'll do that tomorrow(Friday)

Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Is that aperature bigger or smaller then the standard williams wgrs peep?
Nice shooting for sure.
Steve
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sbuff
Is that aperature bigger or smaller then the standard williams wgrs peep?
Nice shooting for sure.
Steve
It is bigger. it comes with 2 apertures. they are .191 and .230 . also you can remove the sight and replace it without it changing zero
I will post some photos of it on the gun later.
Attached Thumbnails Omega round 2-001.jpg  

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 06-22-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
when i first saw it, i was concerned about it having adequate elevation adjustment. Looking good!!
That was my concern also. They make a high weaver backup also. I almost got it. I'm glad I went with the low weaver backup, as it shoots about right with the aperture screwed all the way down. So I have quite a bit of adjustment . I think .05 changes POI 6 inches. Each 1/2 turn (180 degrees) is suppose to move poi 1 inch at 100 yards. there is 15 inches of adjustment on both windage and elevation.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

1874sharpsshooter
Well ,I am not sure why but I had one of those plastic rests similar to the one you are using and I had to junk it. It kept giving me those two or three inch out of the group fliers, I did not even realize what the problem was until one day a friend borrowed it and I was using sand bags until he brought it back and the fliers stopped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.