Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rem 700ml

Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Spike

Default Rem 700ml

Is it better to keep the 700ml the way it is or spend a boat load of money converting it to smokeless? Also if you were to purchase a Boyds stock for the 700 adl short action, how do you put it on the 700ml?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The_Hunter323
if you were to purchase a Boyds stock for the 700 adl short action, how do you put it on the 700ml?
Dremmel the bolt retaining screw in the stock and use the existing 3 screws to put the stock on. Might take you 5 minutes. The factory barrel should be a freefloated fit in the Boyds ADL TH Varmint. If not just lightly sand the channel. Easy fix.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by The_Hunter323
Is it better to keep the 700ml the way it is or spend a boat load of money converting it to smokeless? Also if you were to purchase a Boyds stock for the 700 adl short action, how do you put it on the 700ml?
I really do not understand the facination with smokeless powder. If I wanted a single shot smokeless I would go get a Ruger #1. But, I also knowthat there are a lot of folks that like the thought and enjoy shooting smokeless for various reasons. And actually if you want to shoot smokeless in your 54 and you have a Cabelas/Canadian 209 conversion - you can shoot BH-209 a smokeless progressive burning powder, without coonverting anything else. Personally you have very good rilfe with a very strong centerfire barrel made to 54 caliber. Enjoy what you have.

O45 has made the stock conversion more than once I think - he is a good resource for that I am not...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Recurve, Compound, Crossbow ??

Traditional, Inline, Smokeless ??

If your 700ML is converted to shoot smokeless powder it's still loaded from the muzzle.

Instead of using Pyrodex, Goex, Swiss, Triple 7, American Pioneer etc your using smokeless rifle powder as your charge measured by WEIGHT.

Blackhorn 209 is a great black powder substitute. It's not non corrosive like smokeless powder and definitely not as powerful.

Smokeless powder is cheaper to shoot.

I hunt a slug gun / muzzleloader area. Using a smokeless muzzleloader is LEGAL. It's also LEGAL to use a crossbow during the archery season which I also use. Kind of the same debate.....

I have played alot with both. I like smokeless. JMO.

Mild recoil with smokeless, 250gr Barnes TEZ's and 250gr SST's moving around 2400fps sabotless.

Oh when I'm done shooting for the day I just put it away. No need to worry about cleaning. Try that with BP subs.

Smokeless is also LEGAL during the early and late muzzleloader season in the state I mainly hunt.

Last edited by Omega45; 06-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i confess to trying that with subs. The result is every rifle i put away without cleaning, or loaded without cleaning, and left loaded, has rusted. In my mind BH209 is a wonderful sub, but i don't leave fired rifles uncleaned anymore. Whenever i am hunting and fire a shot, i immediately reload. Used to be i would leave the rifle loaded without worry; no longer. My reloaded rifles get fired at the end of the day, and cleaned.

If smokeless powder was legal for muzzy hunting here, i would use it, maybe.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm venturing down the smokeless path for the second time. The first time I got a Savage and honestly, I didn't really like the gun and didn't really like shooting smokeless. The savage was sold pretty quick. I will admit I didn't probably give it near the chance that I should have.

This last hunting season, the first day I went out I missed a shot at a deer the first day. I cut that outing short knowing that I had to go home and clean. I just did a quick swab and left it until the end of the season, but I still would have much rather been out in the woods. Then the day after the season ended I was trying to clean my gun one morning before work while the kids were running around knocking stuff over and it occurred to me that I spent more time cleaning the past year than I had shooting. This isn't a bad thing as I really don't mind cleaning, I'm at a point in life where for as much as I love hunting and shooting, it's kind of a last priority behind the wife and kids and work and who knows what else.
So, I'm trying smokeless again, only this time using a smokeless barrel on my Pro Hunter. My reasoning is if I don't have to clean immediately afterwards, I can have an extra half hour at the shooting bench or hour in the woods. I can't see myself shooting smokeless forever, but who knows. I think it will get me through a few years until I have more time, then I'll decide from there.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

After going smokeless I just can't go back. I was going to but it's not going to happen. They would have to prohibit smokeless muzzleloading in all gun seasons before I stopped using it. As far as performance and benefits goes smokeless excels. Now if you just prefer using blackpowder that is okay too and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Smokeless didnt really thrill me until i got the NULA. The Savage 50 is nice to shoot the "big boomers" and the Pacnor is tons of fun for practice.

Remington conversions though are very appealing if you already use BH209. They have way more aftermarket support too.