Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flounder' First Casting

Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flounder' First Casting

First, a thank you to those whose sacrifice allows me to be happy!

Art sent me some bullets so i could have more fun. The few i weighed today were about 499g.

Went to the hills and took the bullets with. It was about 45 degrees at 4700', and windy. The mountaineer just now has a new scope; it wasn't sighted in for any bullet, so it was a natural choice to use for shooting Art' bullets. Loaded the rifle with 85g BH209, Art' bullet & wad, and W209 primer. Three shots were taken at about 22 yard, and then it was out to 100 yard. Three three shot groups were made with scope adjustments in between. The shots were made as fast as the powder could be measured, and the gun loaded.

It seemed, in spite of my shakiness, the bullet worked good. This led me to set up 2 milk jugs, and a fabric softener jug filled with water. They were backed up by a couple of phone books taped together. The rifle was taken out to 100 yard, and a shot at the water jugs made.

The Video

The bullet was found inside the fabric softener jug. The jug has a dent where the bullet was bounced back into the jug by the phone book stack. The phone book stack was sent rolling by the bullet. Pages of the phone book were ripped inward about one inch even though the bullet never exited the last jug.

The bullet now weighs 496g.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, Thanks for shooting them. I ended up working in the garden all day and we have some plans tonight so here I am. I need to get shooting SOON. I like the looks of the bullet that went through the jugs and hit the book. It would have knocked the heck out of a four legged deer.
How hard did the bullets load in your Mountaineer?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Very interesting test. I have several 2 liter pop bottles around the house. Might be time to see what my UC Short Mag will do to them.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice test! That load should be good medicine for pretty much anything that roams the lower 48. Sometimes there is no substitute for a big chunk of lead...
Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

looks good for Flounder, Ron you should try them out of your X7 or dream season. That would be interesting after Semi cut off the QLA in his X7. My X7 will shoot No EX just fine, but other omegas can't hit a barn.

Steve
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, funny you should wonder. I considered trying flounder' bullet in the X7, but i didn't want to go through the hassle of changing aim of the scope. This morning my curiosity overcame my lazy, and i ended up in the hills shooting flounder' bullet in the X7. It was difficult to load in the tight barrel.

The target ended up at 47 yard. Five shots were taken from the X7 using flounder' bullet. First shot was a way high, so the elevation dial was lowered 12 moa. Then 4 more shots taken. Load was 85g BH, the 499g bullet with wad, and it was ignited by W209 primer.

After five shots with the 499g bullet, it was obvious it wasn't going to work in the X7. Just to see if the rifle was still working OK, the elevation dial was returned 12 moa up. The rifle was loaded, and shot 3 times with 100g BH, 300g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, and W209 primer. Those holes in the target are dyed green. It was very windy, 65 degrees, and elevation was 4700'.

One might say my Omega can't hit a barn using flounder' bullet.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first thought is that the qla is the reason that rifle won't shoot the conical. Another problem could be that the bullet is loading too hard and that the nose gets a little deformed when loading. It would be interesting to see how that rifle would shoot a conical that was sized to .501. I also think the UC short might shoot better in a 1 in 28 twist.
Good Test as usual.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would doubt deformation of the nose being the source of that much group dispersion at only 47 yards. Misshapen bases play heck with accuracy. But I've never found damaged noses to have much impact, even with bullets that were pretty messed up from being pulled with a ball screw.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think your are right semi, probably the qla for sure.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Fork Horn

I would agree with Semi , not the nose of the bullet but more the base of it. Nothing wrong with your bullets at all Flounder. I think it must have to do to the gas check, a cupped bullet like FPB,Thor, or even a PB I think would work in a QLA barrel. Sorry if I am getting of the post.
Steve

Ron check your PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.