Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White UMag

Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default White UMag

Had time this morning to get some shooting in, finally!!! Decided to take the Whate and head to the farm. I have not shot that rifle in ages... I am really fond of the 1-24 twist of the bore. It really shoots sabots as well a conicals very well.
Got the the farm and had to reverse the plans - the farmer (Marty) was farming the shooting field!!! Imagine that! Anyway, Marty had a lot of equipment parked all around and was in the process of planting Lentils. So no shooting their today or for the next few weeks.

With that squashed I decided to go to the Rock Pit instead. I really do not like going there now as it is a mess and I really do not want to be tied to the mess. I can not believe what people haul out to place on public land to shoot then - leave the mess. There is not doubt in my mind that the Forest Service will move to close the area to shooting - they certainly do not have the funding to pickup the mess after people. If we would just take care of or own trash we would have the pit to enjoy for many more years... DANG!

Since I have not shot the U-Mag in such a long time and I really do not keep the records about each gun as Dave, Semi, and others do - I decided to shoot a group at 25 -50 - 75 & 100 yard just to see!

I loaded up 120 grains of T7 the 458 Bloodline and a Remington 209-4 and took the first shot at 25. The second shot thrilled me and I decided that was enough of that, moved the target to 50 yard and repeated the process. After shooting the 50, again I lost a little more patience and moved the target to 100 skipped the 75 yard stuff. Got a three shot group in @ 100 and decided I was pretty happy with the way the gun was shooting and now I move on to something really fun. Grabbed a bunch clay birds and walked down placed the birds on the rock wall (hate the real estate sign that some brough out to shoot) and brought the paper target in.

Here are a few pics of the outing... I was fun and relaxing

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-18-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

It looks like you sure had fun, sabot I agree about (SLOBS) that leave there mess for others to clean up. If you carry it in then carry it out.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

shoots the lehighs better than the knights. Good shootin SL!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

That would be a great hunting load. Some very good shooting there.