Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Three CHEEZ-IT

Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Three CHEEZ-IT

Each of the boxes was filled with some less than a gallon of water. The boxes were shot at from 300 yard out yonder. In the following photo, Each box is shown 7 frames after it was smucked, which is about 1/4 second after impact.

The first box was smucked by a 300g Deep Curl fired from an X7 at about 1900 fps muzzle velocity.

The second box was smucked by a 200g SST fired from a 45 caliber Omega at about 2300 fps muzzle velocity.

The third box was smucked by a 140g Nosler Ballistic Tip fired from a 7-30 Waters model 94 Winchester with a muzzle velocity of about 2500 fps.

Deep Curl Video

SST Video

Ballistic Tip Video

Internet Explorer will not open these video here, for some unknown to me, reason. Chrome, Firefox, and Safari work just fine.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 05-16-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: noticed explorer wouldn't work
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Any mulie inside 300 yrds better hope his pals don't call him CHEEZ-IT.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Now that's what I call cuttin the cheese. Very nice shooting there. That was pretty impressive. How much over the top of that box do you think you are actually aiming?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever since i started using a scope with CDS dial, i have changed how i shoot long range, and no longer hold over for long shots. Now aday all my rifle are zeroed at 100 yard.

What i did this morning to shoot the 45 Omega at 300 yard was utilize a ballistic calculation to set the elevation dial on the scope.

The calculation had me set the elevation dial to 8.75 moa, as shown in the following photo, which is a little too high.

The X7 has a CDS dial engraved by Leupold, in yards for the load that was used today.

The other rifle i plan to use for our non-muzzy seasons, and the elevation dial has been dimpled by me to fit the current load. Three dimples stand for the 300 yard setting. Off to the right one can see a single dimple which is the 250 yard setting for this rifle and this load.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty clever using the dimples. The only drawback to that is what happens if you change the load? Couldn't you just use a reference chart taped to the stock? Just a suggestion. BTW, That is some fine shooting. But honestly a waste of one of my favorite snacks.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

No snacks were harmed whilst making these video.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, I thought you soaked the cheez-its with water
Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The cheez-it were moved from the box to my belly; the waxed paper liner in the box was filled with water.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The photo shows the 300 Deep Curl nearly at the instant of impact. The bullet hit the box near the lower left corner, and the beginning of the splatter reveals the 'miss'.

This second photo shows the 200g SST at very near the instant of impact. This bullet hit high and right, near the upper right corner, and this 'miss' is verified by the photo. This burst of water remained in the air longest of the 3 splashes; about 2 second. Two seconds was determined by counting frames. This water also splashed on the camera lens, and the drying water drop can be seen in the next photo.

The last box was hit dead center, and this is verified by the photo. .