Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Re-introduce the MK-85 >

Re-introduce the MK-85

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Re-introduce the MK-85

Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Re-introduce the MK-85

I have seen a large number of posts on the various ML sites about the MK-85. It seems many people are learning about the quality and accuracy of that great old model.

So my suggestion is this; re-introduce the MK-85. I know the Bighorn is similar, but it lacks the panache of to MK-85. Knight are you listening?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the way you think Dutch but I don't think it will happen. Most of the mk 85s we see sold now are sold at about half the price they retailed for in the late 80's and early 90's. I am talking NIB old stock mk 85s.
I love them, but I think if they were to make them now at the same quality standards as the old ones and with the same triggers they use to have they would retail at $600 or more. I just don't think there are enough people who still appreciate the older style inline to make it profitable to reintroduce them.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I am sure they are aware of the popularity of the MK-85 but I would think as long as the Bighorn is out there.. there would be little need for the reintroduction of the 85. While the two are not identical they are close enough that they cover the area of rifle necessity. But then perhaps I am wrong and they have it all in the makings.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I agree with all three of you, the MK is really a classic as well as being a quality rifle. But as pointed out with the Big Horn in existance i am not sure they could afford to make the MK again.

I do remember someone mentioning possibly making a limited run of MK's. I can not remember if it was someone connected with Knight or just one of us dreaming.

I believe one of the switches that moved the MK off line and to the new model LK was the redesign of the MK receiver. Was the receiver change that opened it on both sides to allow the rifle to be used by both right and left handed shooters?

If nothing else I would like to see Knight offer the Big Horn in the shorter 24" barrel - but then I guess you would be back to the LK or Wolverine.

I would also guess that the Wolverine may have gone away because we all thought we had to have the 'magnum' rifle with the longer barrel that became so popular and remains popular today.

So in essence - I have no answer!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

flounder33 and cayugad, you guys get it. There is just something about the profile of the receiver and the shape of the stock with the 24" barrel. Mine feels like lever action 30-30 in my hands. The balance is fantastic. When I bring the rifle up to aim, the fit and alignment is perfect.

My first ML was a BK-92. As you guys know, this was a low cost version of the MK-85. I have to say that while is wasnt quite as refined as the 85, it was pretty darn good. (after Knight customer service kindly, and for free, sent me metal sights to replace the plastic versions with which the rifle arrived. I almost think the guy was embarassed that they used those sights!) I greatly prefer that model to the new Bighorn.

Please don't get me wrong about the Bighorn. I know it is an excellent rifle. I have recommended it to several people who want to get into muzzleloading to extend their deer seasons. They are not ML nuts like me and only want a cheap but effective firearm. I always urge them to pay a little more to get the American product with the double safety which I believe is a real must on any open breech weapon.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do remember someone mentioning possibly making a limited run of MK's. I can not remember if it was someone connected with Knight or just one of us dreaming.
When i called the new Knight very early after the buy out, Sam did ask me what i thought about a MK-85 production run. IMO they still have one of the finest triggers and best balance of any ML i have ever handled.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
When i called the new Knight very early after the buy out, Sam did ask me what i thought about a MK-85 production run. IMO they still have one of the finest triggers and best balance of any ML i have ever handled.
I take this as good news. There is a little bit of hope!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Best 440 bucks I have ever spent and that was in the late 80's. I have quite a few rifles but none that just has that comfortable pointability of my mk85. I think they would have a serious time matching the quality of the old ones. I actually have a Walther barrel on mine.