Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Not really to do with muzzleloaders >

Not really to do with muzzleloaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not really to do with muzzleloaders

Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Not really to do with muzzleloaders

I apologize that this is not muzzleloader related, but I just had to share this with my on line friends.

I've been wanting one of these tactical rifles for a long time. Well today I purchased one. Its a .22 caliber rifle. 1-16 twist. It is made by Sig Sauer. Its their tactical field rifle model 522. I brought it home and cleaned it. Then went out to the range and knocked off over 200 rounds, probably closer to 250 rounds. What a blast to shoot this thing.

The only bad thing is the peep sight kept falling off. No matter how hard I cranked on the screws to hold it. They are now lock tight applied. But its not the hard stuff so I can get the peep off. But I ordered a tactical rifle scope for it. So the peep is coming off in the near future. Tomorrow I will throw a RED DOT on it and shoot a little more.

Group A was seeing where it hit at 16 yards. I was shooting kind of fast. Which is easy to do. From there I started adjusting the peep. And it kept slipping. But I finally got it centered in.

Then I went after spinner targets and 50 yard gongs. I was just a pinging out there today. Sorry for jumping forums, but you guys understand me...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mucho Cool Cayugad. That's quite a change from Wipe-Powder-Bullet-Primer-BANG-Wipe-Powder-Bullet-Primer-BANG.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave- I know exactly what you mean about these being so much fun. I got the S&W M&P 15-22. I took the sights off of mine too and put on a Browning Buckmark reflex sight (only for air guns and .22s) that I got for something like $40. It has 4 different reticles. But I just use the 3 MOA dot. What a fun way to spend an afternoon. Then just to have a matching sidearm, I bought a GSG 1911-22.
But in an afternoon you go through a few more shots than you would with a ML. I usually end up grabbing a carton of .22s about once a month at Walmart for <$20 for 550 rounds.
That is a very cool looking rifle. I was at a gun show yesterday and almost grabbed a Hi Point carbine in 40 S&W but the guy wouldn't budge on the price. So I walked.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a neat looking rifle. That one in 16 inch twist should make it shoot really well. That's the same twist rate that my Marlin .22 has. I almost wish you hadn't started this thread because now I have to show you these. All but the next to last one should be 3 shot groups.

Here is the same target with a different background so the groups show better.

Good luck with that rifle. I love shooting a .22. If you get a chance and want to shoot for groups at 50 yards, try some CCI sub sonic long rifle bullets. They don't make good hunting bullets because of the ballistics (drop) of a sub sonic round. But you may find the groups you can achieve with them can be amazing.
I should add that you might have some ejection problems with a sub-sonic round when shooting them out of an automatic rifle.

Last edited by pluckit; 04-29-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Nice, a person would have a blast popping gophers with it out here in Montana.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I apologize if I hijacked your thread.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Not at all pluckit. I liked seeing what the rifle can do. I just ordered two 26 round magazines for it last night. They were on sale for $10.00 each at Black Dog Mechanical Inc. And I picked up a loader for it also. I think today I will throw a red dot on the thing and do some combat shooting with it. This thing double taps like a dream. But of course Sig Sauer are probably better known for their pistols.

And I made sure and got two more bricks of 22's for it. I just can't see where the ramrod goes on this one?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Caugad

Dang you would have to bring up 22's... my other little know passion...

That is one cool looking weapon and it looks like you would have a ton of fun with it. I would have a serious problem with having enough ammunition. I learned many moons ago while hunting jack rabbits in the desert south of Boise... One rabbit and an auto 22 was not necessarily the best thing for me. I was a kid so you can work out the rest of that story.

Up here we do not have the 'jack rabbit' but we have another very popular vermine... the Palouse ground squirrel....

For this little vermine I use to shoot a good old fashioned 22LR... then I decided to go bigtime after this guy.... so...

Picked up a Savage 17 HMR so I could extend those shots even longer. That little 17 will turn those ground squirrels inside out. And as you can see from my first outing with the rifle and the Leupold scope - things have changed and I mounted a Mueller 4.5x14-40AO on it.

And then last year because the price of 17 HMR ammo was running a-muck, I decide to go back to the 22 LR and since i liked the Savage so much i went after another one...

These are a ton of fun... but I am thinking maybe I am old enough to handle a Auto and that one of yours looks FUN...
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Caugad

Dang you would have to bring up 22's... my other little know passion...

That is one cool looking weapon and it looks like you would have a ton of fun with it. I would have a serious problem with having enough ammunition. I learned many moons ago while hunting jack rabbits in the desert south of Boise... One rabbit and an auto 22 was not necessarily the best thing for me. I was a kid so you can work out the rest of that story.

Up here we do not have the 'jack rabbit' but we have another very popular vermine... the Palouse ground squirrel....

For this little vermine I use to shoot a good old fashioned 22LR... then I decided to go bigtime after this guy.... so...

Picked up a Savage 17 HMR so I could extend those shots even longer. That little 17 will turn those ground squirrels inside out. And as you can see from my first outing with the rifle and the Leupold scope - things have changed and I mounted a Mueller 4.5x14-40AO on it.

And then last year because the price of 17 HMR ammo was running a-muck, I decide to go back to the 22 LR and since i liked the Savage so much i went after another one...

These are a ton of fun... but I am thinking maybe I am old enough to handle a Auto and that one of yours looks FUN...
I can agree with the .22's being a ton of fun. I as well have a S&W 15-22 and love it!!!!!! I put a BSA optic sight on it and it drills them.
Hey SL, that Savage looks deadly but the death affect is kinda lost with that Hi-Tech reading material on the end and is that a new fangdangeled tactical shooting mat its resting on over the back of the couch!?!?!??! LMAO!!!!!!!!! Great looking shootn irons all the same!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Today I mounted a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on the rifle. I found that if you use the red dot and the front sight.. this thing is a tack driver. I put the red dot right on the tip of that front sight and then use a 6 o'clock hold.

The first group out of it was the low one. So I gave it some clicks and shot the center group. I think there is 18 rounds there. Then I loaded and did combat point and shoot and found I shoot high in a combat stance, but not too bad. Had that top spray been a chest cavity, there would have been a lot of hurt going on there.

That little rifle is a shell eater though. I wiped out the rest of a #555 box of Winchester shells. Good thing I have three more boxes. I wonder if the neighbor about a mile away can hear that thing going off. Must think there is a war going on at my place. Wait until them 26 shot magazines show up...

After sighting it in, I was spinning targets. Did you know that the color red, like barn red, blends in very good in the woods. I had some spinners painted today, that color and through that rotten Red Dot, they are hard to pick out in the bushes. I might have to put a 1x20 Nikon on that rifle.

But the 4"x4" steel plates at 50 yards were a snap. hold 3/4 on the plate and ping away. I was even shooting paint cans at 100 yards making them swing.

It is a nice little rifle. I am going to name it.. my Magic Rifle. Because in no time at all it can make bullets disappear.

Those are nice rifles there sabotloader. I just did not want another bench rifle. It seems that is all I do anymore is bench shoot. I wanted a fun rifle. But that Savage looks like a real squirrel killer. With this one, it makes me want to run and gun. Walk towards a spinner and shoot as I walk. Now that is a good way to waste bullets...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.