Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season >

Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Spike

Default Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

A group of us have applied for our elk licenses for black powder season. I need to update the Hawken to a little more modern piece. I am looking for any information the group here may have about the below combination or maybe even any other used on elk in colorado. Seems we can not have pellets (loose powder only) and no scopes or sabats.

TC bone collecter or regular Triumph model

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...r/wishlist.jsp

With these Hornady FPB bullets.

Thanks for any help in picking my next smoke pole.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

You will receive some good advice on this site. The Triumph is a great gun.

You may wish to look at shooting a large lead conical vs. the Hornady's.

FYI you have the correct understanding of the regs.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

The FPB works best with 90 or 100 grains usually of Blackhorn in the Triumph. The only real difference in the two Triumphs is the recoil reducing mechanism[ which actually does work but the difference is only noticeable with loads beyond the normal.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Spike

Does any one have any other advice or favorite elk combos for colorado?

Let me know what and why a perticular set worked for you if you can.

Looks like I have prefference points listed so I guess it will be next season not this year, but I am still looking at getting an new set up this year.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

get the hawken ready as your back up gun.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Just the fact of no sabots or pellets really is not a key factor. Me personally, the only rifle I would take after elk is my White Model 97 Ultra Mag. And that is because with 90 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 500 grain conical bullet that rifle is deadly accurate. And nothing wants to be on the receiving end of that conical. I have other White rifles that would do just as good also.

But I am sure the Triumph would serve you well. You might ask Mountain Devil how his Accura shoots Thor bullets. Even though the Accura is a CVA, it is very well made. And a Thor is all copper so it expands very nice.

There really are a lot of rifles that would work for you. All depends on the budget you have.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

hunting in colorado you need a gun that will shoot conicals good tc is not one of them you may want to look at knight are cva for this with a thor bullet witch is a barnes bullet one good bullet with a good worked up load around 100gr to 120gr BH209 and CCI209m primer
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by coma44
I need to update the Hawken to a little more modern piece.
I seem to recall a lot of elk falling to the Hawken through out history. Not sure if a more modern piece as you put it will do much better than the Hawken. You're still limited to open sights, loose powder and full bore bullet (no sabot). So the only thing you're gaining is a 209 ignition versus a #11 or musket cap. You can equal the fast twist by getting a Green Mountain IBS barrel. The newer inlines shine with saboted bullets and scopes. They can be real tack drivers. But a Hawken with a lead conical will surely take and elk out to 100 yds no problem if you do your job.
But if you were to get an inline, the Bone Collector is a good choice. But for less money a CVA Optima or Accura is also good.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by coma44
A group of us have applied for our elk licenses for black powder season. I need to update the Hawken to a little more modern piece. I am looking for any information the group here may have about the below combination or maybe even any other used on elk in colorado. Seems we can not have pellets (loose powder only) and no scopes or sabats.

TC bone collecter or regular Triumph model

With these Hornady FPB bullets.

I have not read all the responses, but I awesome someone has probably mentioned that in some case TC with their deep QLA on the end of the barrel may or may not shoot solid conical with the best accuracy. In my case both of my TC's do, but there are reported cases where they have under performed. The way TC drill and rifles their barrels - then installing the QLA may cause the QLA to be off center with the bore slightly creating different pressures around the conical as it leaves the bore and enters the QLA. With a sabot or even a Power Belt this difference can be covered by the expansion if the powder cup through the QLA.

Here is a drawing of what I am trying to explain...

If I were to suggest a rifle for you to use in Colorado or any of the 3 Pacific Northwest states it would be a Knight DISC Extreme or the new Mountaineer.

This is my Mountaineer..

This is my DISC Extreme...

They come with a proven Green Mountain Stainless Steel barrel without any QLA. They load and shoot conclas very well. I use a .503-460 grain Bull Shop lead conical.

The FPB would definitely work well from this rifle and if you can find a Thor to fit it - even better!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

CVA is another option for shooting conicals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.