Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Toy

Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Toy

My third week down here in Florida (2 weeks work, 1 week vacation) I was getting withdraws from not fondling any guns. I decided to go to gun shop and do some browsing. And, a quote from the Night Before Christmas - What to my wondering eyes doth appear - but a cherry condition Renegade flintlock in .54. The older double trigger version. I checked the price tag and it is now setting in the corner of the bedroom waiting to come home with me. Pictures and range report to follow.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations to you on finding a great rifle.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a nice looking rifle. Looking forward to pictures and range report. Congrats.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

What a great find. I don't need any more Renegades but would not pass up a .54 flinter. Ya` done good Bronko.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a great find! I have to keep my mind off flint locks for now. I still have more percussion endeavors to pursue, so I can't afford to get sidetracked by flint locks. Maybe one day. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks and shoots.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko,

It's probably no good.... with all that humidity in the South, that kind of thing. When you get home to Pa. I'll be happy to drive the 2.5 hrs south to your place and take it off your hands for a fair price and save you the hassle of shipping it to me....LOL

BPS
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Bronko,

It's probably no good.... with all that humidity in the South, that kind of thing. When you get home to Pa. I'll be happy to drive the 2.5 hrs south to your place and take it off your hands for a fair price and save you the hassle of shipping it to me....LOL

BPS
BPS - I appreciate your concern but I hate to tell you this but its as clean as a whistle. Can't wait til Saturday to see how she shoots. And if it doesn't, I'll send it out to have the rifling changed to 1:70. I want it to be a PRB shooter.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

OH well....can't diss me for tryin...LOL!!! Hope she turns out to be a good shooter for ya!

BPS
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
BPS - I appreciate your concern but I hate to tell you this but its as clean as a whistle. Can't wait til Saturday to see how she shoots. And if it doesn't, I'll send it out to have the rifling changed to 1:70. I want it to be a PRB shooter.
Bronko,

I have a few questions...

1) Where do you send it?

2) If it is .54 caliber now, (and probably 1:48 twist) and you want to change it to 1:70...Wouldn't you have to have it bored out for a larger diameter like .58? I cant imagine them going over top of the existing rifling.

3) What do you expect something like this to cost...Is it cheaper than buying another barrel?

Not trying to be nosey, but these are things I would like to know in case I would like to have something similar done in the future.

BPS
Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a gentleman here in Fairfield, PA that is a great barrel guy. Depending on the existing bore diameter, it is possible to re-rifle the bore (I think). Otherwise they drill out the bore and sleeve it then rifle it. The cost for sleeving and rifling was about $150. Just the rifling alone is a bit less.
I have his name and phone number if you want to send me a pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.