Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.32 caliber rifle

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .32 caliber rifle

Does anyone here shoot a .32 caliber rifle? If so, what is the barrel's rate of twist and how do yo like it. Do you use it for squirrel hunting?

Last edited by pluckit; 03-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a .32 Pedersoli Frontier. Rate of twist is 1:47. I bought it as a caplock and later converted it to flint. Can switch back and forth by changing the lock and the touch hole liner / drum and nipple.

I found it to be a very finicky caliber and it took a bit of experimenting to find a good load. But a good one I did find. Haven't hunted with it yet.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
Does anyone here shoot a .32 caliber rifle? If so, what is the barrel's rate of twist and how do yo like it. Do you use it for squirrel hunting?
I have the same Pedersoli rifle as Semisane and I also have a little T/C Firehawk .32 with a scope and it shoots as good or better than a lot of scoped .22's. I believe the T/C Firehawk .32 is 1:48. I have not hunted with either one...yet.

BPS
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi,

That rifle you're calling the "Frontier"...that is the same rifle that Pedersoli sold through Cabela's as their "Blue Ridge rifle"....Correct? What was the load you finally settled on for that?

BPS
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I have the same Pedersoli rifle as Semisane and I also have a little T/C Firehawk .32 with a scope and it shoots as good or better than a lot of scoped .22's. I believe the T/C Firehawk .32 is 1:48. I have not hunted with either one...yet.

BPS
It is a 1:48.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/chart_muzzleloaders.php
Is that a 24 inch barrel on that .32 caliber Firehawk?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Semisane;3925155]I have a .32 Pedersoli Frontier.
I'm afraid that one is a little out of my price range. It looks to be a great shooter though.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a .32 T/C Cherokee and like Semi stated it can be a finicky caliber to get to shoot well. A 5 gr + or - difference makes a big difference in accuracy. Someone offered me a price that I couldn't refuse for it so I sold it. I think if I buy another small caliber it will probably be a .36 or even a .40.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Semi,

That rifle you're calling the "Frontier"...that is the same rifle that Pedersoli sold through Cabela's as their "Blue Ridge rifle"....Correct? What was the load you finally settled on for that?

BPS
I believe they are the same BPS. Pedersoli makes the Blue Ridge for Cabala's and I can't imagine they would change their tooling for one retailer.

See my load data at the bottom of the target posted above.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
It is a 1:48.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/chart_muzzleloaders.php
Is that a 24 inch barrel on that .32 caliber Firehawk?
Pluckit

Yes it is a 24" barrel. I bought the gun through Cabela's ten years ago or so. The sent out a sale flyer and offered both .32 and .58 calibers at a closeout price of 129.99 ea. I took one of each and so did a friend of mine. I should have taken two or three of each at that price, especially the little .32. They are beautifully made rifles with American Walnut stocks and blued steel. The fit and finish is spot on. I have killed several deer with the .58 but have not hunted with the .32. My friend still has both of his NIB condition and the @hole doesn't even hunt but won't sell either one. He thinks they're going to make him rich someday. What a waste of fine rifles!

BPS
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane

See my load data at the bottom of the target posted above.

Thanks Semi,

DUUUHHHH!! You would think I would be smart enough to see that earlier!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.