Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA accuracy issue >

CVA accuracy issue

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA accuracy issue

Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Spike

Default CVA accuracy issue

Need a little help guys....
My buddy just bought the CVA Optima .50
We spent the day trying to get an acceptable group at 100 yards.
1st issue....was all the sabot rounds were extreeeemly hard to load.
We then switched to powerbelts.
The set up.....295gr. AT Powerbelts, 100gr Triple 7 pellets, and Triple 7 primers.
The issue......The tightest group we could get was 3" and at there was at least 1 flyer out of every 4 shots fired. The flyer was at least 5-6" high.
I shoot the Omega with 250gr Shockwaves and 2" groups all day.
I can't figure out what the problem is.......
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EB
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

Are you "swabbing" between shots?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some guns and some people don't like 777. You need a different sabot from what you are saying if a gun loads too tight it won't shoot good, also don't go over board if it loads too loose it won't shoot good, there is a certain narrow area where sabots shoot good. As mentioned you have to swab every shot with 777 and if you get a bad crud ring then swabbing can be quite a chore but to get accuracy with 777 in most guns the barrel must be clean of most crud and any crud rings.
You might check out that gun with the ribbed sabot Harvester sells they are for tight barrels and I would suggest a improved Blackhorn breach plug and a trial can of
Blackhorn.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Spike

My 50 cal Optima likes Barnes 250 TMZ BT with 100 gr Blackhorn. You didn't mention what sabot/bullets you were using that were hard to load. If I use XTP's I have to use Crush Rib sabots or I'd have to beat them them down the barrel. You say this is a new gun. Was it purchased with a scope? Mine was the combo package and I found that the scope mount was loose. I agree with Somkey92 & lemoye, if your using 777 you need to swab every shot and as lemoye suggest try Blackhorn Powder.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

250 - 300gr Powerbelt Aerolite with 100gr IMR White hots, Winchester W209 primers were tack drivers in my Optima.

The best advice, buy the blackhorn209 breech plug " QRBP" Buy a can of Blackhorn209, You can stick with the 295gr Powerbelts, CCI 209 magnum primers. This is a killer combo!
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...e-loaders.html

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...ield-test.html

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...racy-test.html

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...o-3-10x44.html

HIGHLY Recommend you do try this as well,
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...pem-clean.html
Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you using a scope? What are your groups at 50 yds?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need to experiment with different powder charges and different bullets. For example, I never was able to get decent accuracy with Triple 7 pellets - best groups I ever got at 100 yards were 5" or so. Switching to loose powder decreased my groups size by a lot.

Some guns are finicky and even a difference of 5 or 10 grains of powder can make a big accuracy difference. Also, with Triple 7 you usually need to swab the barrel in between shots. Trying a different powder all together might help too....
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Spike

We swabbed between shots. No help.
He does have a scope, we checked the mounts.
We tried The Hornady SST and Barnes Sabots.... too tight. The powerbelts were much easier to load, but still snug.
Can't seem to figure it out. Guess I'll try switching powder.

So frustrating.

EB
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

Not frustrating at all, just have to listen and you will learn.

If you want to try sabots, go to www.mmpsabots.com and order the black MMP HPH-24 sabots and use them with the shockwaves. Just because the sabot is tight doesn't mean that it won't shoot.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have learned the first lesson of how to get a muzzleloader to group well...

Don't waste money on pellets of any type...Reloaders use loose powder, with muzzleloading you are reloading each and every shot...

Spend your money on loose powder, buy a decent bullet and then buy 2 different sabots, one for a loose bore, one for a tight bore...

Then vary powder charges until you find what the gun likes...

It is just that simple...

Lesson number 2, ditch the PowerBelts, saboted bullets are a much better option...As you learn more you can select the bullet best suited to your hunting...

Here is a target I shot last year when sighting in a friends Optima...
I used Hornady 300gr .429 XTPs inside a Harvester plain green sabot...I started with 90grs of FFF Goex black powder and moved down to 85 then down to 80...

Pellets would never give this group with this bullet/sabot combination...Don't chase what bullet/sabot to use, select your bullet, buy your powder and find what sabot your barrel needs and go sight her in...

Last edited by nchawkeye; 03-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.