Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talking Sabots & My Expensive Goof-up >

Talking Sabots & My Expensive Goof-up

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talking Sabots & My Expensive Goof-up

Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Talking Sabots & My Expensive Goof-up

If you saw my thread titled .429/270 Grain Deep Curls - .50 GM/LRH Barrel you know I was a little disappointed with the groups I got.

I used Harvester H5044G sabots for that shoot. Suspecting the sabots were a little too loose, I resolved to try some MMP HPH-12 sabots at a later date, hoping the thicker sabots would tighten the groups up.

(http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...rh-barrel.html)

Well DANG IT! I should have done my homework first.

The MMP sabots arrived today. I grabbed a box of the .429/270 DCs, the MMP sabots, and some of the Harvester sabots. I found my calipers in the back of the cluttered closet and started measuring and comparing.

The first thing I found was all ten of the ".429" Deep Curls I checked measured exactly .428. Putting them in the Harvester sabots, I got loaded diameters of .504 for six of them and .503 for the other four. Putting them in the MMP sabots, I got loaded diameters of .504 for two of them and .503 for the other eight. The darn MMPs are the same as, or thinner than the Harvesters.

It seems I wasted $23.50 for two packs of sabots that won't give me the tighter loading I was looking for. And those HPH sabots are pretty dang expensive.

The MMP web page does not provide load diameter for the HPH-12 sabots with .429 bullets. However, going by the info provided for .452 bullets (quoted below), I assumed the HPH-12 greens would be thicker. My fault I guess. I should have called MMP before ordering.

The big difference between Black HPH12 and HPH24 is HPH24 is .002" smaller in loaded diameter. Loaded diameter is a sabot with a bullet inserted. With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH12 is .507-.508" diameter, the HPH24 is .505"-.506" diameter.
I'll give them a try anyway. Maybe something magical will happen.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is a bit odd. The MMP Greens have always seemed to load tighter for me than the Harvester Greens.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I haven't tried shoving a load down the bore yet GM54. Perhaps the different polymer formulation of the MMPs will cause them to load tighter than the Harvesters.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is possible. Ive never actually checked the loaded OD since i seldom use them except to experiment. It could just be the polymer.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

There is a difference in the Polymere formulation of the two sabots. I think you will find the MMP more pliable than the Harvester and I think you will find the MMP tends to fill the lands grooves more than does the Harvester, especially the grooves.

When the 'boom' occurs the sabot is compressed even more on the way up the barrel to create an even tighter seal.

There is a down side - though, MMP sabots are more suseptible to the ambient temperature and the temperature of the bore.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

MMP sabots are more susceptible to the ambient temperature and the temperature of the bore.
Now don't go confusing me Sabotloader. I checked all of my thermometers and none of them have Ambient - just Fahrenheit and Celsius. As far as the temperature of the bore. My brother-in-law shoots with me and he sure can be a bore. But I believe his temperature is a constant 98.6 F. I really don't see how that can affect the way a sabot shoots. Are you pulling my leg?

(You can always tell when things are getting slow on the forum.)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

only if your leg is 98.6
Old 03-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Now don't go confusing me Sabotloader. I checked all of my thermometers and none of them have Ambient - just Fahrenheit and Celsius. As far as the temperature of the bore. My brother-in-law shoots with me and he sure can be a bore. But I believe his temperature is a constant 98.6 F. I really don't see how that can affect the way a sabot shoots. Are you pulling my leg?

(You can always tell when things are getting slow on the forum.)
After reading this i feel confessed; kinda have a headache too.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
.......................I checked all of my thermometers and none of them have Ambient - just Fahrenheit and Celsius....................
Ambient is probably a derivative of/from ambidextrous, meaning the same on the left as the right, or perhaps the same on the right as on the left. Perhaps Ambient has absolutely nothing to do with Ambidextrous.

Myself, i am right handed, but i can drive a 16d box nail with my left hand. However, i can't position nails with my right hand, like i can with my left hand.

Did you know that -40 Celsius is the exact same temperature as -40 Fahrenheit? Did you know that 0 degree Celsius is the same exact temperature as 32 degree Fahrenheit? Is 100 degree Celsius the same temperature as 212 degree Fahrenheit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.