Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Peep sight on a scope base >

Peep sight on a scope base

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep sight on a scope base

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Peep sight on a scope base

I've got some plans for the Pro Hunter coming up. One of the things I want to do is add a good peep sight. The problem is I hate pulling the scope rail to change the sight, then switching back and forth. I picked up one of the Cabelas Powder Horn scopes for load development, shooting at coyotes, etc. but have to hunt with open sights and plan to spend some time practicing with them more this year, so being able to switch between the two quickly would be a real advantage.
I found where somebody put an FP on a base, and this is what I want to do. Here it is
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...,185593.0.html
Then I also NECG makes a peep sight back up that's already designed to mount to a rail.
http://newenglandcustomgun.com/
This would be nice because it's already designed for it, but not click adjustable like the FP.
So here's my question. I would prefer the FP set up, and already have a spare Warne QR ring floating around that I could modify. The problem is I've never been much for metal work, I've never drilled and tapped a hole, and just in general am hesitant to try to build something that's supposed to be accurate. Do I try to make the FP setup or get the NECG peep?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered one of these? I would seem to be an easy way to what you want.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've looked at those in the past. It looks like they're fairly limited with the range of adjustment, and I would prefer something with a more positive adjustment rather than just kind of slide and guess -something click adjustable.
But who knows, maybe that's a better option.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

The slide and guess has been very successfully implemented as factory rear sights on many firearms. The Slide and Guess usually has some sort of graduation marks to help the user Guess were it should be moved to for a repeatable setting.

I would Guess that the above linked one has close to .250 of guesstimates available. I have used a very similar Williams Guestable sight on several rifles and pump shot guns with complete satisfaction. they are compact and very rugged.

Last edited by Screwbolts; 03-09-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling