Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Mountaineer or Triumph? >

Mountaineer or Triumph?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer or Triumph?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Spike

Default Mountaineer or Triumph?

I've been hunting all my life, but have zero experience with ML. Got invited to KS for early whitetail ML hunt in Sept so I need to start practicing. I want to be confident up to 200 yds and from what I've read, both of these are capable.

Been doing a lot of reading and researching. Don't believe I've heard much negative at all about the Triumph. They are popular and promoted by the TV guys, but I like to be a little different. I don't really want the same thing most everyone else has.

I'm want the mountaineer. From what I've read they are great guns and from pics I've seen they are beautiful guns. But, on the other hand I've read several posts about difficulty cleaning and inserting primer. I've read about having to tape the breach plug.

Why put up with that? Is the mountaineer worth the extra trouble? Or, I have just read a few uncommon complaints and it's really no more difficult to use than the T/C?

Can you offer a newbie some advice?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Mountaineer would be first choice but the Triump is right there with it. Either one would be fine for what you want.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Don't let tapping the breech plug scare you off. It's just a trick to make clean up easier. I do this on all of my MZ's.

Both are fine guns. You can't go wrong with either.

If you want to talk about the KS MZ season, shoot me a PM. I've been hunting here the past 12 years.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers
I've been hunting all my life, but have zero experience with ML. Got invited to KS for early whitetail ML hunt in Sept so I need to start practicing. I want to be confident up to 200 yds and from what I've read, both of these are capable.
I have both guns and they are both very good guns... I hunt with the Knight

Been doing a lot of reading and researching. Don't believe I've heard much negative at all about the Triumph. They are popular and promoted by the TV guys, but I like to be a little different. I don't really want the same thing most everyone else has.

I'm want the mountaineer. From what I've read they are great guns and from pics I've seen they are beautiful guns. But, on the other hand I've read several posts about difficulty cleaning and inserting primer. I've read about having to tape the breach plug.
If you are shooting BH you do not need to tape/grease either Breech Plug... If you are shooting the other subs you will save yourself some headaches taping or greasing.

Why put up with that? Is the mountaineer worth the extra trouble? Or, I have just read a few uncommon complaints and it's really no more difficult to use than the T/C?
For me it really comes down to - do you prefer a break open or a bolt gun. I prefer the bolt gun so I use the bolt gun.

Cleaning for myself it is really a toss up. The breech is very clean on a Mountaineer so there is not much clean up there. The break-open Triumph is thought to be the easier to clean through the breech.

One thing that really carries some weight with me the Mountaineer has a much better trigger system. It comes with a 3 screw fully adjustable trigger. Removing 1 screw will aloow you to remove the trigger assembly if you ever needed to. The Triumph trigger - not so much.

But the Triumph is lighter - that is for sure. It comes with a coating on the barrel for color or a normal blued barrel - but know option for stainless.

Can you offer a newbie some advice?
Not that it really matters, the Mountaineer or DISC are both rated for 150 grains of any BP or BP sub. The Triumph is rated for 150 grains of BP-Pyro- or normal pellets but 120 grains for T7 or BH.

The best advice I could give is to find a friend or friends that have the guns and try them.

If you were here you would find several Knights and one Triumph...

Good luck in your search...
Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both of those are very nice and will certainly do the job. Do you think you will m/l hunt alot or a little after that trip? Reason I ask...there are alot of m/l that will do the job out to 200yds with no problem, that are relatively inexpensive if it will be an every now and then thing.

I personally love Knights. In addition to the mountaineer, you could look at a bighorn, mk-85 (great older gun), and many others. They even have the wolverines back in stock at Knight for a limited time and they are quite inexpensive.

CVA also makes some nice guns, and they aren't too hard on the wallet either.

Heck, a used gun (in great shape) is a very good option too.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Spike

I like the Knight because it can be tore down and inpected and cleaned very easy. A lot of others just pull the breech plug an do a fast wipe down of the plug and wipe out the barrel with a patch or two.To me that is not cleaning a gun , If one were just shooting at a bench it would probability be ok , But how about when hunting in dirt , dust , mud and rain , I believe the knight was the others bet in the cleaning area , It can be COMPLETLY cleaned at camp instead of being seen back to the factory or gunsmith to remove contamination from the trigger area .
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

triump. mountaineer doesnt shoot any better
Old 02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Spike

I'm pleasantly surprised...thought the T/C would get more support.

The ML probably won't get used a whole lot but I like guns and prefer collecting quality firearms. The laminated stocks on the mountaineer really caught my eye. My last rifle purchase was a win model 70, beautiful wood.

I'm feeling more comfortable with my first impression of the Knight.

What bullet/load combo would be best suited for one of those big bodied KS bucks?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers
What bullet/load combo would be best suited for one of those big bodied KS bucks?
One bullet that I use that has really been accurate for me is the Lehigh/Bloodline .458-275 gr. DOA. To me it is a great all-around bullet and has great 'terminal ballstics'

This is a post I put up sometime back shooting my Mountaineer in the Rock Pit..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...untaineer.html

Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey there Geaux Tigers. Welcome to the Black Powder forum. Your name says "Loosianna Boy". You from the Pelican State?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.