Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Barrel  polishing products >

Barrel polishing products

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel polishing products

Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default Barrel polishing products

Can someone tell me the differents between FLITZ metal polish and J-B'S bore paste?
I used the FLITZ to remove some tarnished spots in my KNIGHT .45 ELITE and it did a great job, I was just wondering if the J-B'S would have done a better job.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I have used JB Bore Paste but not the other one you mention. Where did you get that? The bore paste is only meant to remove material, and polish the bore. It is not meant to remove metal from the bore. I have had very good luck with JB Bore Paste. But to be honest, before JB Bore Paste we used to use Comet Cleanser. Make it into a paste and apply that to a patch. But it is a mess. Still it washed out easy. But Comet did not do anywhere near as good a job as JB Bore Paste.

I have a friend that passed away. And to be honest, he used to do a mild lapp on any new rifle he purchased. Not a lot mind you. And never a fire lapp. Just a hand lapp. He claimed it too out the barrel imperfections and made the rifle start shooting better, sooner. He was a heck of a shot, and his rifles were accurate. Whether he was right or wrong.. you be the judge.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fritz Metal Polish is just that, a Polish to remove stains and tarnish just like silver and brass polish. JB's contains more abrasives.
(BP)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Spike

Cayugad, I got the FLITZ from NatchezShooters Supplies.
I have heard of some guys shooting some lead bullets and a very low charge of powder to help smooth out the inside of a new barrel.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Run a cotton ball down through your barrel after it's clean and dry, then look down it and see if any of the cotton is stuck anywhere, if there is then that spot needs more work. I also check with a bullet in a sabot to see how even the bore is, I push it through and feel as I go and see if I can notice any uneven pressure as I push.
Usually 100 or so shots through a new barrel will break it in.
(BP)
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

I use JB bore paste then follow it with JB Bore Brite, Cowboy Action shooters use Ultra Bright Tooth Paste on there Lever Guns and inside there Single Action Six Shooters. They will squeeze the paste inside the action and any place it will go to polish everything it comes in contact with. And it will make your gun smell good also.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

I am a Flitz user and love it. I get mine from a little mom and pop store nearby. My brother bought a used Marlin .22 stainless that had a little bit of surface rust on the barrel. The Flitz took all of it off. It's great stuff for stainless steel and I like to use it on barrel bores.

I cannot tell you the difference between Flitz and JB's because I have never used JB's before. Sorry.