Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzloader

Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Muzzloader

Well got my new Truimph BC in today, yeeehaaa. I've been told on here that I need to run around 100 swabs through it with JB bore paste before I shoot it. I was wondering where I can buy this at? Also what is the best technique to do it?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I ordered mine through Mid South Shooters Supply. The way to use it is make sure the barrel is clean. Then with gun oil on a patch, swab the bore. Now you want tight fitting patches for the next part. Smear the patch with the JB Bore Paste. Up and down is one stroke. Give the rifle 25 strokes and then change patches. In a new rifle, normally 50 strokes is all it takes. Then clean the gun as normal. When you look through it, you can tell us what the bore looks like. It should look like a mirror.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave for the advice. I cant wait to get this rascal ready to shoot. I have wanted a Triumph for a long time just didnt want to spend the money. This past fall my Ohioan cousin talked me out of my elite so I had to replace it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by gregrn43
Well got my new Truimph BC in today, yeeehaaa. I've been told on here that I need to run around 100 swabs through it with JB bore paste before I shoot it. I was wondering where I can buy this at? Also what is the best technique to do it?
Good stuff... I always keep some around

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ANING-COMPOUND

I do run the 100 strokes, especially in a new TC barrel. There really are a lot of burs on the new cut lands and grooves. I run 25 strokes with a new patch oiled with a non-teflon bore oil and JB's bore treatment - then flip it over and run another 25 strokes with the same patch. I do this same procedure with 4 new snug patches.

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-24-2012 at 05:00 PM.