Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
This video stinks. >

This video stinks.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This video stinks.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This video stinks.

http://youtu.be/W2D-Y6XREa0
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Electra at the range/no explanations.

Sorry about all of this. I wish I had something better to do.
What the heck, I like doing it.

Last edited by pluckit; 02-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

That 80 gr of Pyro looks like it has promise. I would shoot a couple more groups with that load to see if it is consistant. And IMO, 80 gr is plenty for deer.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Pluckit, were those targets shot with iron sights?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

open sights... trying different loads. Is the ignition good and solid in the rifle? I am sure its a matter of finding the right load. But personally when it comes to iron sights and 100 yards the game is wide open in my range.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those 100 yard groups are darn good for open sights. You should add 300 grain XTPs to the line up. I'd bet they would shoot very well too.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
open sights... trying different loads. Is the ignition good and solid in the rifle? I am sure its a matter of finding the right load. But personally when it comes to iron sights and 100 yards the game is wide open in my range.
Only the last target was shot with open sights. I had one fail to fire all day. I shot a lot of rounds and during the end of it all I stopped cleaning the bore and didn't use the brush on the breech plug for about 10 rounds or more before it failed to fire. I'm sure the spark plug got fouled and kept it from firing. I didn't want to take it apart at the range and since I was finished shooting anyway I took it home to get the load out. If you look at targets #5 and #6 you will see a lot of similarity in the point of impact even though there were two different powder loads and two completely different types of bullets used that were of different grain weight. I thought that was interesting.

Last edited by pluckit; 02-22-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found a little more serious problem with the rifle that I should report on. The barrel has 2 lugs so 2 screws go through the stock to hold it on. One screw goes through the stock in front of the trigger guard, then into the barrel. Then you have a second screw that goes through the rear of the trigger guard and into the stock to hold the rear of the trigger guard. That second, rear screw is held by being screwed into the plastic stock and has completely stripped out and will no longer hold in place. I put 2 pieces of tooth pick in the screw hole and replaced the screw and I can really tighten it down now without it feeling like it's going to strip out. If anyone has any suggestions as to another method of fixing it I would love to hear it. I really don't see how CVA expected a screw to hold when it's screwed into plastic.

Last edited by pluckit; 02-22-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

If anyone has any suggestions as to another method of fixing it I would love to hear it.
Your local Ace Hardware will have a variety of small aluminimun tubes with an inside machine thread. They come in 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1" lengths and various diameters. Find one that would be suitable and buy a matching tapered head bolt . Epoxy the threaded insert into the stock.

I would take the trigger guard and rear screw to the hardware store. Find a machine screw that best matches the rear guard screw, then find a threaded tube to match the machine screw.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-22-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Semisane, I will look into that if my fix doesn't hold. The problem with your fix is that I don't know how to take the trigger guard off. The electronics are housed inside of it, which are connected to the safety on the top of the rifle. I would have to disconnect the safety to drop the trigger guard and all the electronics. I have tightened the screw as much as I can without stripping out the head of the screw and I can't strip out the pieces of tooth pics holding the screw in. So I think it will be OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.