Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Help with BP Pistols >

Help with BP Pistols

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help with BP Pistols

Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help with BP Pistols

I am planning on using some of my income tax money for a pistol/ revolver. The question I have is what is this I hear about using oats or cream of wheat in the cylinders? Not sure I understand what everyone is referring too?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

corn meal is a common BUFFER. What you're trying to do is make the load complete the cylinder length. Not so much so, that the projectile sticks over the end of the cylinder, because then the cap and ball revolver will not rotate properly.

So in my case, I load; 25 grains of 3f JSG powder - felt wad (instead of the corn meal buffer) - .451 round ball - then enclose the end of the cylinder with a solid type lube. This prevents a chain fire from occurring. So some, instead of a wad, use corn meal, cream of wheat, oats, and what his does is helps prevent the chain fire, also it fills the cylinder. Some claim the grains also help to keep the barrel cleaner. I use JSG so I do not worry about that.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks cayugad,

Makes sense now. So all I really need is a .44 wad to fit the chamber rather then mess with corn meal or oats or cream of wheat! Got it now!

Thanks again
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Geez, and I always thought it was in case you got hungry out on the range. Learn something new every day.
Good response Dave.