Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conical In A GPR?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

It wouldn't be legal in Colorado for hunting.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Well it is snowing like a devil out side.. but I am off to try these ball-ets in a slow twist GMB 50. Should be fun with the snow and all.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
Have you tried this Semi?
Yes, I have Flounder. My first ML rifle was a .40 caliber. I used single balls for small game and double for deer/hogs. It was fine out to 50 yards with the balls hitting pretty much within an inch or so of each other and very consistent as to point of aim.

I really see no need for double balling a .50 for deer. But would not hesitate to do so for elk.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
As interesting as that sounds, I just don't think I could make myself do that.
Cayugad, it's really no different than shooting a conical that's twice as heavy as a ball, so long as you assure the balls are seated against each other.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

My mind is having a hard time accepting two balls shot with the same charge as coming even close to the hitting power of a single heavier bullet?
It's true that both balls would be like shooting the elk twice, but it will be at less fpe than a single ball. It would be way less than a conical twice as heavy as one of the balls, if we're talking about penetration.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
Cayugad, it's really no different than shooting a conical that's twice as heavy as a ball, so long as you assure the balls are seated against each other.
Can't be unless the balls stay together end to end all the way to impact, and also after impact. It's like a bullet breaking in half otherwise.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The two balls combined, moving at say 1200 fps, would have the same energy as a conical that weighed 2x the weight of a single ball, assuming the conical was also moving at 1200 fps.

So the target would be struck with the same engery, yes. That energy would be spread out over 2x as much area with the balls, as compared to the conical, and so the conical would out-penetrate the balls.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The two balls combined, moving at say 1200 fps, would have the same energy as a conical that weighed 2x the weight of a single ball, assuming the conical was also moving at 1200 fps.

So the target would be struck with the same engery, yes. That energy would be spread out over 2x as much area with the balls, as compared to the conical, and so the conical would out-penetrate the balls.
Plus, lets not forget the conical is going to retain more fps/fpe than a RB.

A RB has horrible SD/BC. Using two of them doesn't change that.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

True, though at the range that a double ball load would typically be used, probably not much difference.

If the only bullets you have happen to be round balls, and you need to shoot some nasty critter at close range, like 50 yds or less, then a 2 ball load is not a bad idea. Aside from that, I see no practical use for it these days.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.