Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What will muzzleloading be like in 50 yrs.? >

What will muzzleloading be like in 50 yrs.?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What will muzzleloading be like in 50 yrs.?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be long gone, don't know, don't care.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
As you said.. there will always be those that love the charm of Traditional Rifles and what they can do. But I do believe the projectiles and optics will make great advances in the muzzle loading market place. We are already seeing that. Look at what has advanced in just the last ten years.

Another concern of mine would be in the political forum. It is possible, the hue and cry of certain political power groups will make sure that the use of a muzzleloader is for amusement only and not for hunting. Perhaps in 50 years, hunting as we know it will not exist.

One other concern is the use of LEAD. Oh yes, the DREADED LEAD BULLET. That magic metal that animals eat and then die from it. That magic metal that comes out of the ground and has been around for hundreds of years. I can see again, political groups outlaw the use of lead. Imagine trying to shoot a traditional rifle with something non lead.
I have to agree with Dave on this one, somewhat anyway. I do believe that there will be a never ending battle against banning all guns and it's going to depend on what Supreme Court Justices are sitting on the bench in the next generation. It will all boil down to whoever wins the next election as the some supreme court jsutices will retire soon and whoevers in power will seat them for LIFE, so it could go Liberal or Conservative and that will be the determinging factor that our next gerneration will have to deal with.
I believ like dave that the powders, projectiles and optics will be the main focus in years to come, mabey some super light weight carbon barrels of some sort.
As for Lead, our state just tried to pass a Ban on all Lead based Fishing Tackle, but the Fisherman spoke loudly and it was defeatedbut Im sure in the future it will come up again. Here in NY the only restrictions for the use of ML hunting is that the Bore has a minimum of .44 inches and shoots a single projectile. Scopes, Sabots and Fober Optic Sights are allowed anytime as is the use of the Electric CVA Electra, so we do have it better than many States already.
A MLer will always have to be loaded through the muzzle, so that said the manufactures will focus on better barrel materials, bullets, sabots and powders, along with optics. There's no telling what they will come up with as 50 years ago most would have thought that what we have today would have never happened.
Whatever they come up with Im sure will be high tec and advanced. But they can make better all they can to do with MLing but our main concern should be weather or not we'll all be able to Hunt Period, weather it be with a Bow a Gun or a MLer.
Lets all just hope for the best and if your not a NRA Member, Join, this along with fighting the Anti's and the Environmentalist is what we should worry about most.
(BP)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

We will shoot laser balls out of your muzzies!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

And our ATV's will be hover crafts.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HDMontana
And our ATV's will be hover crafts.
I still use two "black cadillacs" to get around my hunting area. But as I get older, I find those ATV's more and more attractive. IF they hovered, the tree huggers would be happy because the are not defiling the natural soil stratification!!!! However if making ruts irritates some hybrid driving ASPCA weirdo, count me in.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fifty years from now, I'll be 106 so I'll be taking my great, great, great grand kids hunting...I'll still be using my flintlocks and my Knight Disc...

I'll also still be shooting lead round balls as I have molds for my flinters...