Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Too good to pass up >

Too good to pass up

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Too good to pass up

Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

My first deer rifle given to me by my Grandfather was a Winchester Model 94 - 32 Spl with a peep site and I still have it. My father had the same caliber and I gave that to my brother after I shot several deer with it.

So I own the same thing. I'll post a pic when I get home.

JW
Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Your chronology is a little off my friend.
The .30-30 Win predated the .32 Win Spec by 6 years.
The .30-30 was "born" in 1895 & the .32 was hatched in 1901.
I am sure you are right. I was only basing my experiences with the lever rifles I saw. And the first was a .32 Special (although it might have been called something else.) and later on I started to run into the Model 94 Winchesters in 30-30 and even the Marlin lever guns (which I am sorry to say, I liked the way they shot a lot better then the Winchester).

All this talk made me start looking at lever guns again. Maybe a nice Henry Rifle in 45/70 would be fun to shoot. I make the bullet for them already. If I had a LEE loader (you ever see them Lee loaders that make one bullet at a time).. a person could have a lot of fun.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, congrats on a good buy. Over the years i've owned numerous model 94 Winchesters but presently don't own one.

It was a sad day when the old Winchester company went out of business.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

For my 16th birthday (after firearm deer season in Michigan) My folks got me a used whiney 94 chambered in 30-30. a friend of my dads hand loaded for it useing 3031 powder and 150 gr. blunt silver tip bullits. I thought it was the cats meow of a deer rifle and did the sneek huint thru many a cedar swamp. I shot my first buck with it a nice 8 point that I will always remember. I hunted with that rifle right up to 1975 even though I had a couple of bolt action Remmy 700BDL. It was my sluming gun, rain sleet snow and it was what I grabbed.
Two years after I got it my brother got a used whiney 94 in 32 special with a lyman # 2 peep site. He hunted with it till 1972.
My dad wanted a whiney model 88 ( a lever gun too) so he traded his nearly new 94 30-30 to my brother with the intentions of tradeing it on the model 88. I bought the model 88 and traded dad for the 32 special, because I liked that peep site. I still own it also and hunted with it the last time in 1997 when I was trying sneek hunting thru the cedar swamps at our UPPER deer camp.
Some day I'll pass both the 30-30 and the 32 special on to my grand son if he shows an intrest in huinting.

I also own a new in the box 94 1 of 3000 I bought in 94 or 95.

I hand load for both the 30-30 and the 32 special myself now.

Al