Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Electra Range Report >

Electra Range Report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Electra Range Report

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

You had a fail to fire... and it was charged... wow, do you blame that on the powder, or swabbing?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The accuracy looked all over the board there. I wonder if using BH with a starter charge is a good idea in this rifle. Personally, I would stick with loose Pyrodex or T7 with the Electra. I think there is a good possibility the erratic accuracy is because of the duplex load. Every report I've seen on the Electra has shown very good accuracy (with Pyrodex or T7). Interesting though.....
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

The gun shop where I first saw and could have purchased an Electra (for $395.00) at the time has a 200 yard range. And the owner said Electra owners were shooting APP 2f and shockwaves out of them. And that their accuracy was exceptional. I then noticed.. he was selling APP and shockwaves in his store. So I took what he said with a grain of salt.

I forgot to ask you your over all impressions of how well built the rifle appears? Nice and solid welds, and stock to barrel fit good?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
You had a fail to fire... and it was charged... wow, do you blame that on the powder, or swabbing?
I don't know what the problem was. I can't blame it on anything because There was nothing done differently with that particular round then was done with any of the other rounds. I was very surprised when it happened.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
The accuracy looked all over the board there. I wonder if using BH with a starter charge is a good idea in this rifle. Personally, I would stick with loose Pyrodex or T7 with the Electra. I think there is a good possibility the erratic accuracy is because of the duplex load. Every report I've seen on the Electra has shown very good accuracy (with Pyrodex or T7). Interesting though.....
I plan on trying nothing but loose powder the next time I take it to the range. Goex, Pyrodex, or maybe some Jim Shockey's Gold. I have never shot Triple Se7en but I would like to get some and give it a try some time. I think it would shoot Pyrodex pellets well from the initial sight in targets but I would like to get away from using them. I think they are just too expensive without the advantages of a powder like Blackhorn. Plus, you are supposed to crush the pellets when you load them and I'm afraid that will cause problems with accuracy.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The gun shop where I first saw and could have purchased an Electra (for $395.00) at the time has a 200 yard range. And the owner said Electra owners were shooting APP 2f and shockwaves out of them. And that their accuracy was exceptional. I then noticed.. he was selling APP and shockwaves in his store. So I took what he said with a grain of salt.

I forgot to ask you your over all impressions of how well built the rifle appears? Nice and solid welds, and stock to barrel fit good?
I simply love the feel of the rifle. It is built well and feels solid. There is one problem I must expose though. The ram rod is loose in the thimbles and rattles around in them. I put a piece of duct tape around it where the first thimble is and it cured the problem. I plan to replace that with a piece of black electrical tape in the future. It's a simple fix but shouldn't be necessary. I like the rifle so much that I almost ordered another one before I had even shot the first one. Even after the less than stellar performance of the rifle, and or me, I would still like to get another but since my wife talked me out of that once I think I'll try to be happy with just one.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I held Target # 9 over top of target # 10 and held it up to the light and this is what I saw.

Holes 1 through 5 were on target #9. The 2 holes in target #10 are the one just below and to the right of hole #3 on target #9 and the hole behind hole #4 on target #9. The one you can see clean through. I would like you to be aware that holes #1 and #2 on target #9 were made with scope adjustment. With the final scope adjustment made before shots #3, #4 and #5 were taken at target #9 and the last 2 shots taken at target #10. I think this brings to light a little different picture of the grouping of the final 5 shots. That would be shots #3, #4 and #5 on target #9, plus the 2 shots on target #10 that is behind target #9.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I remember a while back when CVA was offering a satisfaction or your money back guarantee
but only if buying the White Hots pellets to try them together.
CVA was willing to put their money on the line based on the performance of the White Hots pellets,
so maybe they generally do work better in the Electra then any of the other propellants.

Last edited by arcticap; 02-11-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by arcticap
I remember a while back when CVA was offering a satisfaction or your money back guarantee
but only if buying the White Hots pellets to try them together.
CVA was willing to put their money on the line based on the performance of the White Hots pellets,
so maybe they do work better in it then some of the other propellants.
I don't think it was the White Hots. They still honor that if the CVA muzzle loader isnt the most accurate you've ever shot, send it back for a full refund. Apex and Accura V2 are the ones that get this treatment.